biobox2 filter

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
FishBubs
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 21 times

Hi guys,

does anyone have any experience with one of these filters ? its an internal filter. i am looking to get my new tank ordered soon and it comes with a biobox however, i am planning to use a fluval external filter with it. i was just curious if anyone has or is using a biobox 2 just now.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1791 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Never used one but I kinda like the idea of it.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4259 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Reminds me of a internal systemised bio filters that were popular in the late 1980's.

Their a good idea with an open top aquaria but with a tight fitting hood access is a bit of a pain.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
FishBubs

Cheers. More research has brought to light the fact that those plastic crates containing the biomedia etc are sealed shut so you cant open them. To me that means they would be expecting peeps to throw away used ones and buy new each cleaning time cos you wont be able to squeeze out any gunk :shock:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

...Plus you wouldn't need the carbon box anyway...not so interesting as at first look to me....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1791 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Look on eBay as you can find 3d printed media boxes for different filters 😁
FishBubs

nah, just cant bring myself to use it. going ahead with the good ol' fluval. Cheers guys appreciate the input though.
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

I looked into these a while ago as i quite like the design. However, I came to the same conclusion as you that the media cartridges are sealed. it always baffles me when this is the case. I can see why they do it for financial reasons but it's just crazy from a fishkeeping point of view for reasons that I am sure we are all familiar with.

You could just cut up sponges to fit I suppose, and if you did really want to use some ceramic media then I suppose you could hack the top off the cartridge and still use it or put some in a media bag and stuff it in the filter.
FishBubs

Hi Mikeyboy,

As you say, its just down right dangerous to the tank environment and my fish in my opinion to chuck out and by new. its just too much hassle to perform surgery on a filter to make do when i can have a perfectly proven good system with the fluval :-) i will stick to what i know works for my wet pets