New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1829 times

More checks this morning and zero ammonia or nitrite and pH is still at the 6.6 level so I don’t know whether to add coral sand to buffer or not. My concern is the tank has been stable without it and all my fish are used to the pH sitting at this 6.6 level, even though the water goes in at around 7.4 but quickly drops down as it mixes.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Just keep an eye on the KH.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 13:06 pm Just keep an eye on the KH.
The difficulty is it’s kH1 right out the tap so it’s impossible to measure if it drops, other than by pH monitoring. It’s been kH1 for all my years fishkeeping so most of my current stock has had 3.5 years of unbuffered water. Obviously it does start dropping the pH over time but I think I’d have to go a month without a water change before it absolutely bottomed out.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Oh poop…whitespot outbreak. Couple of the bigger cardinals are most affected and a few on a few of the rummies. Esha exit and green water for a few days! (Yes, I know…QT tank would have helped but it’s just not possible for me to run more than 1 tank these days).
It’s been fast appearing because I was watching the tank just this morning and there was no obvious sign

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Think we have Ichthyophthirius spreading around the forum... :dodgy2:
VikingMummy2015 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 20:47 pm Oh poop…whitespot outbreak.
adm wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 16:29 pm So my fish now apparently have Ich.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Update:
Sorry it’s been a while. Stressful times at Viking HQ unfortunately. What was meant to be a supportive needs assessment to help me and the boy out has turned into a bit of a nightmare with a horrible social worker (she even annoys my unflappable step-mum!).

However, all is good on the fishy front. The whitespot cleared up with a treatment of Esha. No casualties at all and all my new fish are settled in and growing nicely. Nosey lives up to their name and is frequently seen bustling around the tank or clinging protectively to the veg or larger seed pods.

Tank pH holds steady at 6.6 the whole week long, no swings at water changes or the run up to them. I have a fresh batch of big leaves and more pods to add in over the next few weeks as the first load are starting to break down. The water doesn’t stain as I don’t use heavily tannin leaching botanicals. Happy with how it’s all looking now. Will grab photos in the next few weeks once it’s all refreshed.

Martinspuddle

Can you go to the powers that be and complain about this social worker?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 16:35 pm Can you go to the powers that be and complain about this social worker?
I sent an email last week in response to her accusation I’d been secretly recording her without her consent plus various things she’s saying she’s “concerned” over (last time I checked she has no right to be concerned over medical issues that medical professionals are 100% fine about!). I suggested a different worker might be a better fit…she has yet to reply but fingers crossed she decides it’s better to pass us on to someone else. I refuse to meet with her alone any longer so she shouldn’t get away with her behaviour. But doesn’t stop me having bad dreams and generally increased stress. If she continues then I’ll have to complain, but I worry it’ll go against me (not the first time people look at my medical history and make negative assumptions). Hopefully she’ll just back off and then I might put in a complaint once she’s been proven wrong about her crappy opinions.

Martinspuddle

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 18:35 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 16:35 pm Can you go to the powers that be and complain about this social worker?
I sent an email last week in response to her accusation I’d been secretly recording her without her consent plus various things she’s saying she’s “concerned” over (last time I checked she has no right to be concerned over medical issues that medical professionals are 100% fine about!). I suggested a different worker might be a better fit…she has yet to reply but fingers crossed she decides it’s better to pass us on to someone else. I refuse to meet with her alone any longer so she shouldn’t get away with her behaviour. But doesn’t stop me having bad dreams and generally increased stress. If she continues then I’ll have to complain, but I worry it’ll go against me (not the first time people look at my medical history and make negative assumptions). Hopefully she’ll just back off and then I might put in a complaint once she’s been proven wrong about her crappy opinions.
Not good, I've always been dubious about so called social workers.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 18:35 pm
Can only sympathise. My wife’s family have terrible experiences with social workers. Not meeting her alone seems like a key decision. Hope things work out.