Ember Tertra

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
Hsep
Been liked: 1 time

[align][/align]Hello,

I have been keeping Ember Tetras for approximately 4 months now. I have a group of 6 and today I observed that one of the fish is swimming weirdly. It almost looks like it is falling down and always swimming with its head pointing at a 45-degree angle.

Water parameters have been stable for the last few months at NO2 of 0, NO3 of 0, NH3 of 0, GH of 10, pH between 7.5 and 8 (all measured using Colombo test kit) and temperature at 25 Celsius.

It is 100l super fish start, which is relatively heavily planted with both fast and slow-growing plants. Other other fish include 4 adults of swordtails with 4 babies, 7 corydoras and one pleco.

Does anyone have a clue what can be going on? I did not recently add any new fish or plants to the aquarium. Thanks
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Sounds to me it's the swim bladder, most likely an infection. Antibacterial treatment can help and there's a few products on the market like Interpets 'Swim Bladder Aquarium Treatment'

Also stop feeding them (Won't harm them) for three or four days.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Is your water hard or soft?
You're more likely to get problems like this with harder water.
Martin has also pointed to feeding, what are you giving them (including make ;) )?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Possibly just the hard water taking its toll. I presume you have hard water because you have Swordtails.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Have to agree with @black ghost and @plankton your water pH parameter suggests your aquarium could well be the underlying factor here.

I've never kept Hyphessobrycon amandae but looking them up on the web, a pH 7.0 is really the maximum of their range. In hard water calcium deposits can build up in the fishes organs leading to their demise.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Hsep
Been liked: 1 time

black ghost wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 13:03 pm I presume you have hard water because you have Swordtails.
Yes, that is correct. I got the tetras before I learned about water parameters and how they might affect fish health, so I am trying to balance not very soft and not very hard water.
plankton wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:28 am Martin has also pointed to feeding, what are you giving them (including make ;) )?
Crushed bug bites and sometimes tubifex.

So I have a follow up question, could this be solved if I moved the group of 6 to my 30l where I have super chill beta?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Small fish with a betta after he's got his territory? I think you'd be asking for trouble.
It will also mess with the betta's feeding routine.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian