Electric Blue RAM with a spot

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Skipperz
Has liked: 5 times

I thought at first that this 'spot' was a missing scale or damage from the larger male ram, but I have been keeping an eye on it and it does appear to be getting bigger. She (I believe it is a female Ram but on a side note, anyone good at sexing rams could confirm?) has been acting and eating as normal, no other physical changes.

Recently added in x3 orange Cory, the spot on the ram predated the addition of the Cory's (Relevant for the next part).
One cory seems to have either been attacked or is suffering fin rot? With cichlids in the tank, this was my first thought, but if the ram above is ill with something, then perhaps it has had a different affect on the cory? (Absolutely no idea, stabbing in the dark)

Took tank readings about 1.5-2hrs ago and were; Ph circa 7.7, Nitrite <0.25, Nitrate <10 and Ammonia 0

Please help for next steps? I also do not have access to a quarantine tank. TIA <3

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Skipperz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 19:32 pm Nitrite <0.25
Why have you got this reading, is your not aquarium cycled?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Nitrite reading should be 0. anything above is harmful to the fish. The ram looks like a female to me, but a side on view would help.

You really need a small group of 6 or more for the corys to keep them happy.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

It looks like fungus, normally a secondary infection, on the ram.
What's the hardness of the water?
I'll suggest a first attack of Melafix and Pimafix together which will lower stress, help regrowth and help clear the fungus. You may need a stronger fungal med afterwards, or a bacterial med to clear whatever is the primary problem on the ram.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Skipperz
Has liked: 5 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 am
Skipperz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 19:32 pm Nitrite <0.25
Why have you got this reading, is your not aquarium cycled?
Well, I believe it is now as the readings have been pretty stable and consistent. I say <0.25 because when I do the drop test, it ever so slightly tinges the water pink - less than the .25 marker. I just kinda figured it was normal or acceptable for trace amounts? (Please note I am a complete novice at this :upsidesmile: )
fr499y wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:45 am
You really need a small group of 6 or more for the corys to keep them happy.
This was definitely the plan, I just didnt want to introduce too many to the tank at once. I was planning to pick a further 3 up this weekend, but kind of depends on the consensus/findings you think my current issues may be?
plankton wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:25 am It looks like fungus, normally a secondary infection, on the ram.
What's the hardness of the water?
I'll suggest a first attack of Melafix and Pimafix together which will lower stress, help regrowth and help clear the fungus. You may need a stronger fungal med afterwards, or a bacterial med to clear whatever is the primary problem on the ram.
KH = 10-15 and GH is around 14
My plan was to soften the water up as I know the rams need it softer. This was my next task after finishing cycling the tank and mad water changes were out the way.
Thank you! Are there any real disadvantages to using those meds? anything I particularly need to be careful of?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

The hard water won't be helping - blue rams are very fussy about water, it must be soft, and the temp needs to be at least 27C.
The cory would also do better in softer water, but really needs it a bit cooler than the ram.
I suggested those meds as they aren't harsh for starters. If you had labyrinth fish I would suggest half-dosing of any meds, and pencil fish don't like Melafix at all. I've never had a problem with any other fish I've kept though.
If it doesn't sort you'll need something stronger like one from the Waterlife range.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Skipperz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 19:32 pm Well, I believe it is now as the readings have been pretty stable and consistent. I say <0.25 because when I do the drop test, it ever so slightly tinges the water pink - less than the .25 marker. I just kinda figured it was normal or acceptable for trace amounts?
Reading should zero or so low it's undetectable. Nitrite is toxic to all aquatic life we keep.
Nitrite is toxic to fish because it binds with the hemoglobin in fish's blood to form methemoglobin.
University of Florida

The test should be either clear or pure white if your using test strips (not recommended) so the reason for your issues is water parameters.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: