Sixo’s 350 Rio Renovation

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Sixo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 20:06 pm My local MA had Corydoras Oiapoquensis in the other day which looked pretty special. £60 for 3, ouch!
I know they are quite rare btbh I don't find them very striking.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 323 times

Thought I’d post a wee update, things seem to be going pretty steady now.

Algae is running riot on the 3D background, which is giving it a natural look. I’ve had some BBA growth on the wood but I’m not overly bothered about it as everything else water-quality wise is good, small weekly water changes are keeping nitrates comfortably under 20ppm.

I added some Rummynose Tetras a while back and they’ve done well, they’re awesome to watch like everyone says.

Only losses I’ve had to date have been a couple of Harlequins, not sure if it was maybe dropsy or something, they swole up and had red blotches appear on them, nothing like that for months now 🤞.

Almost certain my Bolivian Rams are all boys so there’s a bit of bickering but they’re great little characters.

Cryptocoryne Balanse hasn’t really done much for months now so may get another plant for the back corner or just let the Sessiflora spread about.

Oh and there’s a Spider-Man in there not really in keeping with the river theme but my 5yr old is delighted with it.

Sixo
Posting Legend

So, as posted on another thread, I’ve discovered a crack on the side of the Rio, no idea how it’s came about. I did get it 2nd hand about a year ago so whether it’s been age, over handling, a son who likes to throw things or whatever, I’ve now ordered a replacement tank due to arrive next week.

Going to top-up sand, try out different hardy plants, go back to a black background (ditching the 3D one).

Going to find some pieces of wood that look like roots/branches hanging down, creating plenty spaces to swim through, freeing up some of the “floor space” while making better use of the tank’s height.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Sixo wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 20:56 pm So, as posted on another thread, I’ve discovered a crack on the side of the Rio, no idea how it’s came about. I did get it 2nd hand about a year ago so whether it’s been age, over handling, a son who likes to throw things or whatever, I’ve now ordered a replacement tank due to arrive next week.

Going to top-up sand, try out different hardy plants, go back to a black background (ditching the 3D one).

Going to find some pieces of wood that look like roots/branches hanging down, creating plenty spaces to swim through, freeing up some of the “floor space” while making better use of the tank’s height.
All sounds good so long as there's still a spot for Spidey ;)
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4280 times

Shame about the crack but a good excuse to start a fresh 😁
Sixo
Posting Legend

Things are a bit flung-in (due it taking me till 2am to complete the switchover).

Waiting on some plants coming from Pro Shrimp but fairly happy to have done all the heavy work without any losses, hate having to stress the fish moving them around but it’s better than risking a potential blowout.

Will keep a close eye on parameters in the coming days.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4280 times

Looks good! Fingers crossed the next few days go smooth.
Sixo
Posting Legend

So this is what’s coming out on tests for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate in that order.

Can’t tell if I’ve cracked it or things have stalled? I transferred over all the older filter contents, sand and some decor, also dosed prime and stability for the whole tank.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3436 times

That looks pretty good to me.... :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian