Now a sick gourami

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Are you half dosing the meds?
Labyrinth fish don't like meds, that's why you should always half dose.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
ivybell

Ric wrote: Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Certainly, with your gourami, I would guess along the lines of fin rot / cotton wool fungus (developing still?) etc so with her I do not think any internal bacteria treatment would help. Melafix to help with the sores should provide her with some ease. After that, finrot&fungus treatment perhaps?

(After my recent fungal disaster and still losing all the affected fish despite treatment - 2mollies, 2 corys - I would not hold too much hope for her, I have to say. Try, by all means, but just be prepared that you might lose her. She does seem quite badly affected all of a sudden. - I really hope you can prove me wrong.)
I don't hold much hope either to be honest. I feel terrible for not noticing sooner, but all the illnesses seem to be appearing so quickly I'm struggling to keep up. With what I'm supposed to be doing and not supposed to be doing.
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
2 honey gouramis (barry and paul)
4 neons
3 black tetras
3 mollys (dobby, DC, buckbeak)
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
ivybell

plankton wrote: Are you half dosing the meds?
Labyrinth fish don't like meds, that's why you should always half dose.
No iv not been half dosing, didn't no i was supposed to be
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
ivybell

Gingerlove05 wrote: You might have to do a large water change and change meds to something stronger. Waterlife myaxzin is one i think is a bit stronger and is effective.
Thank you will try a water change, I have ordered that medication, but it won't arrive till the end of next week, I'm not sure she'll make it that long, she doesn't look any worse today. But she also doesn't look better. How big of a water change should i be doing. And should I be doing it daily or stick to once a week like normal?
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

When fish are ill it worth doing extra water changes to help keep the tank/water clean. When changing meds normally as big a change as you can manage, 50% is normally a good start as a lot of meds will dissipate in around 24-48hours. It just helps to prevent mixing meds which could cause other issues.
If your wanting to do a couple of extra changes to help keep the water fresh i would do 10-20% every couple of days.
And as Ian has said remember to half dose the meds with the gourami, as they can affect their labyrinth organ. You might have to continue the course (check the medication instructions for multiple/continued dosing) for a bit longer.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
PJN
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Sorry to hear you've been having problems :(

May I also ask what your water hardness is? This can be found on your water supplier's website. Also, what are the results from your water test? What other fish have been having problems?
ivybell

PJN wrote: Sorry to hear you've been having problems :(

May I also ask what your water hardness is? This can be found on your water supplier's website. Also, what are the results from your water test? What other fish have been having problems?
It's 14.05 Clark, one of my mollys has a white lump near her anus, and all my neons have white patches and one has a lump on his lip. My water tests are all coming back fine no high readings of anything
Juwel Vision 180
5 corys
6 guppys
4 neons
3 black tetras
6 penguin tetras 
Fluval 125
3 Angel fish
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

14.05 Clarke is hard water, mine is moderately soft, at 2.38. I'm not an expert but I do think Gourami need soft to moderately soft water, your other fish are a mix of soft and hard water varieties!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

That won't make healing any easier I'm afraid. It would be easier with soft water.
Keep the water as pristine as possible with large water changes.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

ivybell wrote:
PJN wrote: Sorry to hear you've been having problems :(

It's 14.05 Clark, 
14.05 Clark = 11.2dGH (German) ;)
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)