Female Betta

Betta's, Gouramis etc
TechnoFreek

Hi all,

Any suggestions what I can do with an extremely aggressive female betta in a community tank. I was hoping to change the tank from being a community to a sorority as the last few fish naturally died off but this female is insanely aggressive and eating tankmates at a rate of a few a week. She will be on her own in no time but she has put me off the sorority idea as I wouldn't trust her with any fish.

I've tried reaching out to my local fish shop as well as some online communities here in Ireland but no takers.

Thoughts on next steps please.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

what are you putting in with it? Are you sure its a female and not a short fin male? ( Not assuming you don't know the difference, just you never know with LFS's ) She might calm down if stocked with a few more females :)
TechnoFreek

fr499y wrote: what are you putting in with it? Are you sure its a female and not a short fin male? ( Not assuming you don't know the difference, just you never know with LFS's ) She might calm down if stocked with a few more females :)
Sterbai Cory and some neon tetras. 

Definitely a female. Egg tube visible.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Can you give us some details on tank size, is it planted? whats your local water details etc
TechnoFreek

fr499y wrote: Can you give us some details on tank size, is it planted? whats your local water details etc
2 feet long, planted. water is soft
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5056 times
Been liked: 3424 times

The problem you have now is that she's got her territory.
It would be easier to add 4+ more in new surroundings.
You could always take her out, move things about and then put her in just after the newbies.....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
TechnoFreek

plankton wrote: The problem you have now is that she's got her territory.
It would be easier to add 4+ more in new surroundings.
You could always take her out, move things about and then put her in just after the newbies.....
I don't think it would take her too long to re establish her territory. She's like a terminator!
Frogtastic
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 105 times

Faced with the same problem myself. I have had to keep her in a tank alone. Oddly, she is an awesome breeder.