Light cooling

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

So, I’ve recently noticed a gap developing between the top of my tank and the lid. It appears that the lights are generating so much heat that it’s starting to cause the lid to warp. See below

So I’d been onto the supplier and after initially saying I can’t have had light deflectors fitted (which I do) they’ve offered a replacement part. (At this stage I’m not sure if it’s just the warped bit or the whole lid but I’ll see when it’s delivered,)

What they suggested and what I’d been thinking already was some sort of cooler fans to help reduce the heat. I’ve started looking around and have come across a few usb powered cpu type fans that might do the trick but I’m wondering if any of you lot have any ideas/suggestions?
311l 48x18x22

Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

I once had a Kent tank with fans built in to the lid which worked extremely well, if your going down that route you will have to drill holes in your tank lid.
It seems strange to me you would think they would have know about this problem in design, if indeed it is the heat causing the problem.
lunar jetman

Pleco Fan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 22:10 pm I once had a Kent tank with fans built in to the lid which worked extremely well, if your going down that route you will have to drill holes in your tank lid.
It seems strange to me you would think they would have know about this problem in design, if indeed it is the heat causing the problem.
It does seem odd that it’s completely enclosed but it does get quite hot under there. The lights are mounted with screws already so that’s not a problem.

I’ve got 4x 54w lights but I can’t be the only person with that kind of setup.

I’ll see if I can find any setups with them preinstalled for inspiration, thanks.
311l 48x18x22

stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Could it be condensation on the lid that has caused the warping instead?

What is the lid made of? Is the tank one of those expensive oak tanks that Maidenhead Aquatics sell? Is the lid oak or just like mdf or something?

What light? Standard on that comes from the manufacturer?
lunar jetman

stuaz wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 19:49 pm Could it be condensation on the lid that has caused the warping instead?

What is the lid made of? Is the tank one of those expensive oak tanks that Maidenhead Aquatics sell? Is the lid oak or just like mdf or something?

What light? Standard on that comes from the manufacturer?
There’s a glass lid with sliding panels between the water and the lights so not condensation. It’s bone dry in there.

It’s made of what I assume is mdf.

I’ve got the iQuatics 6x 54w lights although only have no more than 4 on for any length of time.
311l 48x18x22

lunar jetman

Been checking the last few days and although it is getting warm I'm not convinced it should warp in that way.. I guess some cooling can't hurt though.
311l 48x18x22