New tank and some questions on cycling :)

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Spindle
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times

Hello folks, it's been a long time!

Today, after about a year of waiting, THERE IS WATER IN THE 160L tank!! I'm now trying to convince myself that it's not going to explode and cause a tsunami, but that's just anxiety talking...

Here she is, still looking very cloudy but I'm proud:

http://imgur.com/a/keq5m4f

Unfortunately the JBL Manado is very light and has mixed up with my sand layer quite a bit, it's so lightweight... that may put an end to my corydora playground plans but we'll see if I can do some scooping once everything has calmed down a bit. Husband says he likes the effect. You can also see the rock barely holding down my beautiful piece of floating driftwood.

So my questions: where on earth does one buy pure ammonia these days? I've tried Homebase and Wilko to no avail. I've thrown a bit of flake food in there for the time being but it seems a bit unscientific.

Also the fish store was a little low on plants and I couldn't get hold of any java moss to attach to my driftwood like I'd planned. Do you guys have any advice on how to glue it on there now it's submerged?

I may make a post on the tank logs forum once I've got some better pictures, is that the done thing? Forgive the newbie question.

Now I'm off to clean up the DISASTER that is my bathroom!!!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Most people use Jeyes kleenoff which they normally get online. It should be 9.5% ammonia with no surfactants, you could also use dr tims one and only (think thats the right one).
If you use the kleenoff ammonia theres a calculator here:
http://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/resources
As for attaching things after they have been submerged, you can either take the hardscape back out and glue it, or you can use cotton or fishing line until to tie things down until they root in.
Wiggles
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 209 times

I used the Dr Tims stuff and it worked fine
Misty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 16 times

Congrats Spindle :)
Yep, as GL mentioned best place to get ammonia is online, think I got mine of eBay; I too tried to look in shops, but after being looked at as if I was mad I've given up...
And for anxiety... I relate to that too when I was filling my 350 litre tank with water (we live in a flat on the 2nd floor), for the first week or so I used to wake up to any minor sound haha
Spindle
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times

Same here, third floor... glad I'm not alone! 🤣
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

First floor residents here and I agree that Dr. Tims is excellent.