Wiggles tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

ROFL very sneaky!
Although it is an incentive to get things going :)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Wiggles wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 18:12 pm
I have been thinking about just getting an fx4 or similar and binning off the sump but that's extra expense and I'm unsure of how the plumbing would work if I did do that
Save some money and get the APS (admittedly I haven't used mine in anger yet but they are a good price, just £63 currently as opposed to the £160-£200 for a new FX4)

Then I *think* if you could connect the inlet somehow, might need a trip to B&Q/plumbing supplies, to the middle pipe and the outlet to the RH pipe then blank off the LH pipe. You should be able to keep the shutoff valves.

Wiggles
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 209 times

The issue with that is if the filter pumps water out of the wier faster than it goes in then it will run dry etc so could be a bit difficult to get it all set perfectly...

Mine doesn't actually look exactly like that picture the centre pipe is actually taller than the other drain and has a valve fitted on the top which I'm a bit unsure of its purpose of I'm honest.

And the fact that the sump is essentially worthless as is specifically sized to this tank and cabinet and I already have the pump etc to go with it. So while it might be more hassle to set up initially there are benefits to a sump and it's all there ready to go.

My next issue is the lights... I tried them out tonight and they just aren't bright enough, with such a deep tank it's just going to be too dark... So need to look into options to replace them with something a bit more powerful

Also still unsure on the wave maker situation as think it might turn the tank into essentially a washing machine for my small fish... (Tank was used for Malawi cichlids by previous owner) but on the other hand it might not have enough surface agitation without
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I've just picked up a 27W Fluval Aquasky 2 (the 91cm to some larger size model) for Sunnyside which is the exact same dimensions as yours (36"x24"x24")

Wiggles

That looks a bit more suitable!

Our tanks and cabinets are essentially identical apart from yours being a nicer newer one and not having the Weir/sump/bulkhead, I'd imagine ND just use the same tank and just add the extra stuff if needed
Last edited by Wiggles on Sat Jan 18, 2020 21:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

and a tadge more expensive than your bargain lol but yes pretty much identical (other difference is the are under neath has a central divider)
Wiggles

Yeah I've got a lot more scrubbing and scraping to do before mine looks anything like yours lol
Wiggles

Spent around an hour this morning scrubbing it with vinegar trying to remove everything I can from all edges etc where there is a build up of a mixture of algae and white sort of mineral deposits or something from the water. It's certainly not a quick job!

Assuming with the vinegar if I rinse the tank down and drain the vinegar water out that should be sufficient? As 340L will be quite a lot to dilute any remaining in there
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I'll take a guess some of those white deposits were salt as it was a marine setup ;o)
Wiggles

been a long time since it was used as a marine tank. The previous owner has freshwater fish in it for several years so don't think they would have done very well If there was this much salt in the tank