Going bigger

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 857 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 20:53 pm Generally colouring up is a sign of happy fish :)
Looking at the fins they do look male and female from what i can see, but rams are hard to sex without being the electric blues :D
On a plus note if they do breed and get it right (it might take a few goes) for a while they will look after the young, protecting them and herding them around the tank to various feeding areas :)
Fins is what I was looking at. The larger 'male' one definitely has a point at the tip of his dorsal and all the other fins are diamond type shapes. The smaller 'female' has much more rounded fins so I'm pretty confident it's a pair. The female does seem to be getting a little rounder in the belly too. When the quarantine tank has done it's quarantining thing I'll probably move this pair into that and see what happens (thinking they may be ok with the warm temps a zebra plec may need).

The german blue rams are a bit more hard to sex. They're still smaller, but I've seen similar size in pet shops and they have the obvious pink belly. Mine don't seem to have that, but one does has black edges on it's pelvic fins which I believe means it's a girl? Hard to double check as they hide a lot and get chased by the blues if they break cover and start showing their finnage.

If I was to add more rams to main tank, would I be best just adding females to reduce aggression or once a pair is formed, will they be aggressive to all other rams?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

Rams do like warmer temps, and the regular blues do seem to be harder to sex. It does sound like the electrics are the dominant pair. The fins are normally the give away, and the pink belly is typical of females although i wonder if it comes out more when they’re in breeding mode. You may also notice the egg laying tube (cant remember the proper term ROFL) in females if they’re in the right mood, its around by the anal fin
Once they pair and claim territory they will keep others out or away, and the same if they have fry they’re protective parents.
I think once they pair you need to move out others, so I wouldn’t add any more. The only exception for this i think is bolivian rams which seem to be loosely gregarious if theres enough room.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Ovipositor. ;)
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Gingerlove05 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 22:44 pm Rams do like warmer temps, and the regular blues do seem to be harder to sex. It does sound like the electrics are the dominant pair. The fins are normally the give away, and the pink belly is typical of females although i wonder if it comes out more when they’re in breeding mode. You may also notice the egg laying tube (cant remember the proper term ROFL) in females if they’re in the right mood, its around by the anal fin
Once they pair and claim territory they will keep others out or away, and the same if they have fry they’re protective parents.
I think once they pair you need to move out others, so I wouldn’t add any more. The only exception for this i think is bolivian rams which seem to be loosely gregarious if theres enough room.
Hmm. I shall get my magnifying glass out. Shame I really do want some gold ones. It is a big tank....

Appreciate the input.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:37 amOvipositor. ;)
Sure I saw a herd of them in Jurassic Park...
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

piker wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 18:55 pm https://www.facebook.com/82471342765164 ... 2&d=n&vh=e
Golds in at amazon aquatics
Just seen the video. Hoping they’ve got some at the Oldham store!
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

https://youtu.be/Cc2wY6VkeNQ

Just a well-‘ard momma shrimp stealing food from the catfish!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4273 times
Been liked: 3923 times

Si4geckos wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 20:47 pm https://youtu.be/Cc2wY6VkeNQ

Just a well-‘ard momma shrimp stealing food from the catfish!
That seems about right, I've got video of Neocaridina shrimps trying to barge their way into 30 to 40 hungry Endlers chasing food tablet! :)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

“Mine!....and now i’ll just go hide over here” *evil laugh*