So I was at the LFS today

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

checking on their stock in preperation for stocking Sunnyside later in the week, currently out of Rummy nose but thats incidental.

(BTW have done no research on any of the below yet)

Saw these male Neon Royal Red Dwarf Gouramis and thought , oooh nice. Maybe they would be a good alternative to the Angels or can they be just as problematic in a group?

Also like the look of the Penguin Tetras however noted on the card not to be kept with long finned fish so presumably nipper (excuse the pic, think it was on night setting)

Another one I liked the look of is the Golden Pencilfish

oooh and these Red Lined Torpedo Barbs

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Did you find your arm being twisted by the boss while you looked around this shop? :dodgy:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

she was at home in bed feeling poorly so I was on my own :D
Martinspuddle

mikeyw64 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 13:51 pm she was at home in bed feeling poorly so I was on my own :D
FREEDOM!!!

So come on spill the beans, what else did you see and think be on the long short list? :grin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

TBH I'm still veering , for right or wrong, mostly back towards my original almost finalised list.

Yes I may need to take some of the angels out in the future if there are problems.

I *think* the apistos probably have enough separation potential (if they chose to use it) from the angels because of the way I've scaped the tank.

I really do like those Dennison/Torpedo Barbs though as a potential alternative to the Rummys
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

but then they like it cooler than the Angels etc
Martinspuddle

Once saw a tank which was solely filled with Barb species and that aquarium looked great, movement, colour and very impressive.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Just some thoughts on some of your candaidates:

* Male Dwarf Gourami's can be trouble, regardless of their colouration. I do see them advertised where someone got two or three, then once settled, one relentlessly chased the others. How large any group would need to be to keep them peaceful and whether this would indeed work, I'm not sure.

* Penguin tetras I've stayed away from because I did read several times that they're quite bad in terms of fin-nipping. If you do want a black stripey tetra, perhaps consider a large shoal of Black Neons?

* Red Line torpedo barbs can get quite large and I wonder whether they might do better in a rectangular tank. In a way similar to rummynoses, who like to swim back and forth the length of a tank. Only, the torpedo barbs would require more space/length, once fully grown.

In my opinion, and it is just that, go for the rummies. That would allow you to stock a larger shoal and would look really good in your tank.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I do think my original thought of 30 Rummies in a school would look good and yes the Torpedos could do with a longer tank really

Sounds like I may have potential problems whether I get Angels or Dwarf Gouramis
Martinspuddle

Penguin Tetras, nippy, can be. Like all these species, if you keep them in a group they do tend to keep themselves to themselves.