How to choose filter for aefreshwater 900?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Fishtales wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 22:27 pm
Last Triumph wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 22:06 pm Whatever filter you choose, ignore the flow rate advertised on the box - the real world, 'in service' flow will be half this at the VERY most, so for example, if your aquarium is 250 litres and you want to filter the water 6 times per hour as is a popular recommendation, you need a filter that will flow in the real world 1,500 litres per hour, which means you want to be looking at a Fluval FX4 or FX6 etc which advertise about 3,000 l/hour, which in the real world will be about 1,500.

You will hear people say that way too much filter for the tank. It's simple maths if you want the 6 times per hour cycle. Not everyone feels 6 times per hour is required, but make sure you know what you're buying and what you need from it.

I have done flow testing on a few canister filters in service, as have many aquarists on youtube and I can testify that the advertised numbers are fairy tale in the real world.
This is absolutely true. You never get the filtration stated by the manufacturer in reality. The lph is still very useful to help pick the right filter for your tank though. Most recommendations for filters I have read however have said you need a filter that states it does 4 or 5 times the amount of water per hour as the size of your aquarium, if that makes sense. I would say always ignore the maximum sized aquarium the manufacturers say the filter is suitable for.

As ever, what fish we have, and our set up will ultimately determine the amount of filtration we need.
I agree, and I always say if you need to up the circulation of your aquarium say for a high tech planted tank, never rely on the filter alone. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

What else do I need other than filter 🙈?

I’m now reading that planted tanks need CO2?
I do really want some plants 😊
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Redpanda wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 22:47 pm What else do I need other than filter 🙈?

I’m now reading that planted tanks need CO2?
I do really want some plants 😊
Planted aquariums don't have to use CO2 there's always the low tech approach which is cheaper.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
scoobiemandan
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

Oase Biomaster are a very well made filter, they are German engineered after all! I ran a 350 on my 240l for a while and only stopped using because I upgraded to an FX6. The pre filter on them is an excellent and easy to clean piece of kit that makes maintaining the filter easier and should allow for longer periods between cleaning the rest of the filter! To summariser, don't discount the Biomaster in your musings ;)
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I read online how many people had to modify Biomaster to work properly, change media and other things. Also had lots of problems with air bubbles. I’m worried that with zero experience I’m going to be struggling there 😂 but still would be an excellent option for me as I can buy in local shop and go back anytime I have a problem.

Based on other comments Oase 600 might not have enough flow anyway ..
scoobiemandan
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

I had no issues with the original sponges but did replace with pond sponges after a while but only because I wanted to make more space for biological media as it was being used on a tank with two Goldies!
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Hello all,

In the end I chose fx4 and now worried I made a mistake. I set up my filter yesterday and my water is like in the washing machine 🙈 the flow is way too strong for this tank. I’ve read online that you can reduce the output valve but then by how much? Is this going to affect intake? Also what’s the point having this powerful filter then if I have to tone it right down 🙈🙈

So worried what to do , any advise?

Also have loads air bubbles, will they go away eventually?

Ohh...
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

The Fluval FX4 is quite powerful at 2,650 L/h flow rate, which is why I recommended the Eheim Pro 600 at 1,250L/h.
Use a longer spray bar to reduce the flow. ;)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)