Alkalinity KH

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

Wow thank you everyone. Video is simply amazing!!

I do however want to have variety of fish, and worried this will affect most of them badly 🙈

If I use Seachem Equilibrium will it also raise pH?

Also where do you get potassium bicarbonate - is there a common name I don’t know? 😂

If I use any of above, do you treat whole tank weekly? Or just the water added during the change?
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 16:22 pm
Fishtales wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 16:05 pm Are you suggesting you don't think you need a reasonable KH to keep the PH stable long term in an aquarium @Martinspuddle ?
Redpanda wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 13:40 pm I worry now it’s not suitable at all for fish 🙈🙈
No, Redpanda was worried they water was unsuitable for fishkeeping, I'm just showing those parameters are still very usable. In many areas the water parameters fluctuate depending on season.

In the video the water parameters Ph:5 dKH: 1.1 and dGH: 1, which are less than Redpanda got from their local water supply.
Ah okay. Sorry I missed that bit that Redpanda said :rolleyes:
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
Fishtales
Posting Legend

@Redpanda no Seachem Equilibrium only raises the dGh hardness. It is the Alkaline buffer that raises dKH and PH.

You can get big bags of Potassium Bicarbonate on Ebay :)

As I said your water hardness will work for a large variety of fish, just the KH being so low could cause your PH to crash, this is what is potentially dangerous to your fish.

Just to add my personal experience. When testing my water prior to adding the Alkaline buffer it reads a PH of just under 7. Although I add the Alkaline buffer to increase my dkH it has never noticeably made my PH that much higher when I have tested my tank the next day. So I haven't had an issue regarding my PH getting too high using this product.
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4242 times
Been liked: 3908 times

@Redpanda have you asked what water parameters your local aquatics store is using and what they do to buffer or not?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4242 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Redpanda wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 16:32 pm Wow thank you everyone. Video is simply amazing!!

I do however want to have variety of fish, and worried this will affect most of them badly 🙈

Also where do you get potassium bicarbonate - is there a common name I don’t know? 😂

If I use any of above, do you treat whole tank weekly? Or just the water added during the change?
I will say you choice of fishes is greater that mine when it comes to my water parameters, I have super hard water here dGH-17. Just avoid hardwater species, which still gives you a vast array of species to keep. I give anything to have your water supply.

Potassium bicarbonate you can buy on ebay but there are many Ph aquarium buffers on the market. API 'pH Up' springs to mind. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Fishtales wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 16:42 pm @Redpanda no Seachem Equilibrium only raises the dGh hardness. It is the Alkaline buffer that raises dKH and PH.

You can get big bags of Potassium Bicarbonate on Ebay :)

As I said your water hardness will work for a large variety of fish, just the KH being so low could cause your PH to crash, this is what is potentially dangerous to your fish.

Just to add my personal experience. When testing my water prior to adding the Alkaline buffer it reads a PH of just under 7. Although I add the Alkaline buffer to increase my dkH it has never noticeably made my PH that much higher when I have tested my tank the next day. So I haven't had an issue regarding my PH getting too high using this product.
That’s great fishtales very useful thank you. Do you just add it to the fresh water during water change or treat the whole tank? Thank you 😊
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 17:11 pm
Redpanda wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 16:32 pm Wow thank you everyone. Video is simply amazing!!

I will say you choice of fishes is greater that mine when it comes to my water parameters, I have super hard water here dGH-17. Just avoid hardwater species, which still gives you a vast array of species to keep. I give anything to have your water supply.

Potassium bicarbonate you can buy on ebay but there are many Ph aquarium buffers on the market. API 'pH Up' springs to mind. :]
Oh brilliant thank you. I will certainly start doing that now. I still have no fish, 8 days into my fishless cycle but then making a pigs ear of it 🙈

Buying online some ammonia and will get something to raise KH.

This is ever so helpful 😊😊😊
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 16:59 pm @Redpanda have you asked what water parameters your local aquatics store is using and what they do to buffer or not?
I haven’t asked no, actually it’s a good idea. I will ask when they re open. Thanks
Fishtales
Posting Legend

Redpanda wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 17:38 pm ......That’s great fishtales very useful thank you. Do you just add it to the fresh water during water change or treat the whole tank? Thank you 😊
You're welcome, glad to help :)

That depends when using just RO water I premix it in my big bucket prior to siphoning it into the aquarium. If I were using tap water and a hose I would mix the required amount in some water in a jug and add to the tank as it is filling up :) Likewise if you are filling with smaller buckets from your tap, it will probably be easier to measure the whole amount required in a small jug and add it at the same time you fill your tank with tap water.

I believe you can just add it directly from the tub as well, but I prefer mixing it in some water first :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Filtration Fluval 205