Stocking question

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
ScubaDoo
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the world of aquarium keeping! I have a 65 litre freshwater tank & as I’ve started to do more research myself about aquariums and how to look after them, I realised I had been given some bad advice from my LFS where I purchased my aquarium and fish.

I realise now that I did not cycle my tank (I was told to just treat the water with bio-boost for 3 days and then I’m good to add fish) so inevitably my water parameters are now suffering and I am working hard to get them to safe levels!

I always wanted some Cory catfish and Plecos as my main stock for the tank but I was told that I needed to wait around 6 weeks until there is sufficient algae etc for them to eat.. My question is, is that correct & a long enough timeframe? (As I said, I have been given some duff advice before)

If that does sound correct, could people please advise on how many Cory catfish and plecos I could have in a 65litre?

I currently have 5 mollies, 3 diamond tetras and 2 African dwarf frogs

I am able to move fish to an already established tank of a friend if over-stocking is going to be an issue.

Apologies if this sounds like a dumb question but I am new to all of this and would greatly appreciate any advice :D

Thanks in advance!
ScubaDoo :grin:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
They have given bad advice by the sounds, as well as the bio boost (which only nullifies ammonia and nitrite apparently), they've sold you mollies for a 65l tank. They get to between 5" - 8", depending on the dominant genes, so will get too big for what is probably a 2' tank. They also need hardness above 12dGH because of their osmotic systems. They will also likely eat all the food before the frogs get any.
However, let's try to give you an answer to your question.....
You could have 6 corys in there, as long as you have soft water, or at least below 9dGH and a careful eye to make sure there's no ammonia. They aren't algae eaters and need a good meaty protein-based diet.
I'd be dubious about putting a plec in there, unless you just looked at otocinclus, again requiring soft water or one of the other small plecs that aren't so easy to track down like anchor cats.
ScubaDoo

Thanks for your quick reply!

Oh no really? They actually recommended I get the mollies too. Great news about the catfish though as I absolutely love them!

Would you recommend I look to rehome the mollies? (:cry:)

I do only want a small pleco I know a lot of species can get huge! Would I be able to have a Bristlenose pleco? I’ve read they stay small..

According to Severn Trent my water supply is soft water (I use tap water and treat with a dechlorinator) I have just purchased Seachem Prime to replace as I’ve heard it is a much better one to use.

I have the API master test kit which doesn’t test water hardness - is there a separate kit that you know of that tests for this?

With regards to the mollies stealing the ADFs food - you are spot on! They are greedy little things. But I feed the frogs with a turkey baster and make sure they always get some - feeding them is my favourite part of the day! :tongue:

I really appreciate your advice - thanks!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5448 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Hello and welcome :)
Do you have a reading for the hardness other than soft?
Longterm the mollies would likely struggle if your water is soft as mentioned. The trouble is if you rehome them in your area they will likely be in the same water.
I think it would be a bit tight keeping the BN in a 65l, i kept mine in a 54l for a while when she was young but i dont think she would be happy about it now, unless it was just her. Then again that might just be SJP(my BN) :D
Otos might be the better choice size wise especially if you can keep them fed on algae and other greens :)
API also do a separate hardness test kit, there are a few others as well but i cant remember the names atm :rolleyes:
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

You can get an api hardness test kit.

Like plankton said you should re home the mollies. And a bristlenose might be too big for your tank. You could add some shrimp to help clean up in there though. (Once you've moved the mollies on.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I wouldn't try a bristlenose in a 2' tank, unless you can find a super red that only grows to 3".
Oh, and yes, I would rehome the mollies if the water is soft.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
ScubaDoo

Thanks everyone for your help & advice, I really appreciate it! I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions & letting you all know how my tank holds up with the new filter I’m getting - fingers crossed my water levels will sort themselves out soon.

Do you think if I am able to rehome the mollies that I could have some corys, a small pleco the 3 tetras & 2 ADFs together?

Thanks again everyone ::thumb::
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Depends what the plec is. ;)
I think the frogs would miss out on food still.