Tank vacuuming and shrimp

Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

I need to do a water change on Sir Daniels tank but I am a bit concerned as my tank vacuum is more of a Dyson.

Not mentioned previously as he was a bit of a sacrificial lamb is Sir Daniels other tankmate, Sir Shrimpalot who is a panda Taiwan bee.

Now Sir Shrimpalot isn't very big (although he looks MUCH bigger in my head when he has his armour on) and I am a bit concerned about sucking him up when I am cleaning the sand (he is a very valiant chap and I am sure he would step out to vanquish the foe entering his domain, thereby putting himself in harms way).

Can anyone help me with a good way to prevent his accidental demise while still getting the tank clean?

TIA
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

Some sort of mesh (garlic and onion bags work well) over the syphon, that's what I use over my skimmer when its on.
Triumph-Rat

Ricrhys wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 16:22 pm Some sort of mesh (garlic and onion bags work well) over the syphon, that's what I use over my skimmer when its on.
Afraid Sir Shrimpalot would slip through those (he was hired for stealth and getting into small spaces undetected!!)
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

They're usually pretty quick to get out the way once the dreaded pipe arrives. Do you siphon into a bucket or down the sink? Maybe put the outlet in a sieve just in case if you go straight down the drain...
Triumph-Rat

A bucket from the small tanks, the big tank is in the bay window so just stick the hose out of the window ::thumb:: , but mine has a no return valve on the output and I don't want his wee carapace being crushed by incoming water meteors :O .
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3927 times

I just stick on of these on the end of my syphon tube when performing waterchanges on my shrimp aquarium and most of the small detritus is sucked out. :]

Anything larger, I use tweezers.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: