Apistogramma Suitability

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Looks like fire reds. Very nice. Hopefully they won't be too aggressive, but doesn't look like there's a lot of hiding places for the male. The females will stay in caves, and looks like the 2 best choices are the tubes right next to each other, not sure if they'll get territorial to each other over that.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Really pleased with them, look forward to see how they get on, a female looks to have claimed a Buddha nut pod on the other side, figured with the 3 of them left in the store tank I'd take my chances with the 3 incase I brought 2 home and one died or whatever, rehoming is always an option if it comes to it.

They're exploring the tank and feeding well so fingers crossed they work out ok, nice to try out something I've never kept before.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Two look to have claimed a log together think it would be wise to remove the other female?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5448 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I’d just keep an eye on them, the other female might claim another territory and the male will go between both.
If there is any aggression then it might be wise to remove one because they will injure/kill one another
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Sixo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 16:38 pm Two look to have claimed a log together think it would be wise to remove the other female?
They're harem breeders. The male visits multiple females rather than pairing up. It's likely that the other female could protect him when the other has babies, the males don't care for the young from my recollection and the females are nasty when they don't want the male around.
Sixo
Posting Legend

They're spiky wee characters enjoying them so far.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5448 times
Been liked: 2668 times

They’re not always harem breeders (well our Cacs haven’t always been). We’ve had a couple that have just paired.
We have also had a male (good old Bubba!) and female that both looked after the fry, including Bubba picking the fry up in his enormous mouth and spitting them back amongst the group like mum does :)
But i do agree with Jon that females can be buggers for their aggression when in breeding mode
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Sixo
Posting Legend

There's not much aggression between the Apistos themselves but the females are being a little nippy here & there with the Corys and cardinals, not sure if I seen it right or not but think my pearl Gourami got popped a little the other day or just spooked. Will keep an eye on them but early indications are there could be trouble.