The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs - For the marine keepers!
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

My next addition will be some cuc so will be a while for fishes. Want to get the corals where they will be happiest first.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Marty.h
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 136 times

[quote="Cheltgirl" pid='35095' dateline='1568270486']
My next addition will be some cuc so will be a while for fishes. Want to get the corals where they will be happiest first.
[/quote]Bear in mind fish poo also feeds corals [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ok so not only do they poo out of their mouths they also eat poo ? it’s a good job corals look pretty cos they’re actually really gross ROFL
Marty.h
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 136 times

[quote="Cheltgirl" pid='35119' dateline='1568281963']
Ok so not only do they poo out of their mouths they also eat poo [emoji1785] it’s a good job corals look pretty cos they’re actually really gross ROFL
[/quote]It's one big ecosystem and nothing goes to waste. Fish poo contains some goodness that the corals can use no different to a farmer spreading his fields with manure ect. You will see more so on LPS and SPS that when you feed the fish out comes the feeding tenticles they will catch what ever comes by all be it poo or food that's ontop of the light they use to photosynthesis and grow as well.

With LPS make sure your main elements are in check at this stage you will be fine but as you add more LPS and say some SPS keep an eye on you Calcium, Mag and Alk they will consume this as they grow and the bigger they get and the faster they grow the more the uptake from memory in mine fairly well stocked I was dosing a litre of each element a week just to keep up with demand as you need to balance those levels to what ever new salt mixes at so come water change time you dont get any swings in parameters.

Mine once it was dialed in and been running a while I had been 6 months without changing any water that's where marine does differ a lot you run different things to control different things where as I've learnt freshwater you have to change the water

It's all good fun learning and by all means if you have a question feel free to tag me so I get a notification I dont currently keep marine but still remember it all just about [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Marty.h on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That’s the biggest change for me. NOT doing such regular water changes haha! More LPS and SPS is the eventual path I want to go down so at a (much) later date I’ll be upgrading to things like dosers etc. For now I’m a few steps up on the learning curve with plenty more to go.

I shall definitely have plenty more questions along the way :D
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1803 times
Been liked: 4290 times

My old marine tank had a water change every other month. I was dosing daily for alk, mag and cal, and was running an algae bed and skimming on the dry side. Tank ran lovely once i got it all settled. I didn't need to do a water change but it was mainly to lift some crap from the rocks/sand and clean out the sump of detrius more than the water quality :)
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

What about dosing for trace elements? I’ve heard some people say it’s essential others not so much? Without more regular changes wouldn’t they be depleted over time?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1803 times
Been liked: 4290 times

never had a problem. Fish poo probs covers the rest of it anyway!

Some people do insist on dosing iodine and other elements. You will need to add salt every now and again anyway due to skimming.
SnowAddict
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Been liked: 7 times

I use Triton icp tests monthly to give a full test spectrum to keep tabs on trace elements. I normally find strontium and potassium need topping up. Iodine is dosed weekly anyway on my system.
Your a while off having to worry about that, currently you need to be keeping a really close eye on the top 6.
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium (new sand can suck it up, whilst buffering Alk)
Nitrate
Phosphate
Salinity

Keep the above stable for now and you’ll be fine. At the minute weekly water changes will/should keep them all in check [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That’s great. Thanks chaps :D