The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs - For the marine keepers!
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

The mandarins are lovely and I have always wanted one but they are notoriously hard to care for and are known to starve in aquariums which put me off!

When I get to the water change stages there will be plenty of calculations for you to double check me on :) All the salt mixes say different amount per litre for certain salinity/specific gravity. Does make it confusing. But fun too.
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

Yeah that’s what i’ve read about them, getting them to eat is half the battle.

I’ll have to read up on calculating salinity etc The things i do for fun  :rolleyes:
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
grommit
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 63 times

Morning all,
OMG Brian's in the house! lol.
Must have another tank to play with.
Soooooo next weekend getting a 25l tank of my pal up Aberdeen.
Hes the culprit getting me started off again!
Had shrimps etc but always wanted a coral tank and evertualy critters.
Don't know if i'll be tempted as itll be the 3rd tank within a month.
Sensible thing I should do (me and sensible together makes you LOL) is consintarte with fresh fist and re-learn what I forgot. ;-)
But i'll be logging in for your progress.
Bri
Aphasia (pronounced uh-fey-zhuh) is a condition caused by injury to the brain and affects a person’s ability to communicate. People with aphasia may have difficulty expressing themselves when speaking, difficulty understanding the speech of others, and difficulty reading and writing.
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Looks interesting :)

Always wanted a reef tank with corals and a pair of clown fish but don't really have capacity for another tank so would have to shut down an existing tank but only one I would willing shut down would be one of my 30litres and that sadly limits what I can do :(

One day maybe!
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

We have live rock woohoo!
Marine6.jpg
There are 4 individual pieces adding up to 1.8kg. Tried a few different combinations but this one seems to be the most sensible.
Marine7.jpg
As its only been a few hours I've not seen any critters yet (it'll be at least a few days before they appear) but there are some whiteish polyp/fan-y type things in the centre of the pic. Hopefully they'll turn out to be something pretty :)
Marine8.jpg
Will do a full batch of tests tomorrow with fingers crossed there hasn't been too much die-off in the rock to cause an ammonia/nitrite spike.

The rock was £15.90/kg which I believe is similar to most lfs. It's important when getting rock that you can trust the source or it may not be alive at all. Make sure you can see where it is being held and that place has clear water with good flow and lighting. If it's got slime or tons of algae on it or smells bad don't get it. Same as when buying second hand from an individual. Make sure it's being kept properly or you'll just have a pile of expensive dead rock.

To save money you can get a small amount of live rock and put it in with a larger amount of 'dead' rock as the bacteria and critters will spread but that will take time. So it depends on how patient you are :)
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Wow it already looks like the ocean floor.  :cool:
Annie
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 151 times

Yes, agree with @"Pleco Fan" looks great already, looking forward to seeing pics of some action on the rock :)
Bikini Bottom - 168l Bronze, Peppered & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry & Green Tiger Barb, Amanos The Kremlin - 58l  Bronze Corys
QT - 15l
Bronze Cory Fry
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4261 times

[quote="Cheltgirl" pid='26631' dateline='1558808355']
The rock was £15.90/kg which I believe is similar to most lfs. It's important when getting rock that you can trust the source or it may not be alive at all.
[/quote]

Ouch! i think i paid £8-£10/kg when i got my last lot! gone up a bit in the last few years!

For a nano it always pays to get a small amount of live rock, as most corals will come on some rock. My older nano started with 1kg of live rock and by the time it was full with softies, must of had about 5-6kg in it :D
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That’s very good advice. Real reefs usually has the corals on rock. Other places have them on frags.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4261 times

I'd also get a SW-2 wavemaker in there and do away with the filter pump :) Oh and how do you find the little Astra 20 light?