Angelfish success stories please...

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 23:57 pm
Ruth wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 18:33 pm Out they go!! Went into it with my eyes open - had hoped, but they are spoiling what is otherwise a very laid back tank! Need to find a clean bucket or something tall...
I've always said the Angelfish have never been a very good community fish, have you got an eviction notice now for them? :cry:
They will know once they’re in the bucket!!

....however last night the gourami were back out in the tank and angels were wearing halos again. Getting up now to go see what the situation looks like.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Strange to hear those angelfish horror stories. The only aggression I've ever seen has been towards another angel; on their own they've been fine. Never even eaten an adult neon. Yes, they're predators for fry and shrimp but no harassing other fish. Even found a single angel would befriend a single gourami, they would follow each other, hang out in the same corners together.
Guess its a case of just watching what personality each fish develops.
Ruth
Posting Legend

Ric wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:24 am Strange to hear those angelfish horror stories. The only aggression I've ever seen has been towards another angel; on their own they've been fine. Never even eaten an adult neon. Yes, they're predators for fry and shrimp but no harassing other fish. Even found a single angel would befriend a single gourami, they would follow each other, hang out in the same corners together.
Ric in the light of day - I’m gonna give them a bit more time - it’s all just as you described it this morning! Just need to pay close attention. Personality I guess.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Ric wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:24 am Strange to hear those angelfish horror stories. The only aggression I've ever seen has been towards another angel; on their own they've been fine. Never even eaten an adult neon. Yes, they're predators for fry and shrimp but no harassing other fish. Even found a single angel would befriend a single gourami, they would follow each other, hang out in the same corners together.
Until they become adults, some are not to bad others are a real nightmare! :O
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Yes, fish seem to have individual identities sometimes, although the norm is "as expected"..... ;)
I'd be calling them Crowley, Hastur and Ligur........ ;) :D
Ruth
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 am Yes, fish seem to have individual identities sometimes, although the norm is "as expected"..... ;)
I'd be calling them Crowley, Hastur and Ligur........ ;) :D
When I know who they are I will laugh!! 🤣🤣
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5089 times
Been liked: 3436 times

Good Omens. ;)
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

I thought it was The Professionals , oh hang on , that was Cowley , Bodie & Doyle ;o)
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:20 am
Actually, I was referring to adult angels here :)
With regards to keeping angels & neons, I would have the neons in first, allow them to grow and mature, then add small angels later. By then the neons are too big for the little angels to eat. Even when those angels grew up they would still leave those neons alone, as if they'd learnt that they were too big and then would not try to eat them again.
Obviously, once the angels were in the tank, then I could not add more neons as they would be attracted to chasing any newcomers to the tank.
That's just been my experience of them :)
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4279 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Ric wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:20 am
Actually, I was referring to adult angels here :)
With regards to keeping angels & neons, I would have the neons in first, allow them to grow and mature, then add small angels later. By then the neons are too big for the little angels to eat. Even when those angels grew up they would still leave those neons alone, as if they'd learnt that they were too big and then would not try to eat them again.
Obviously, once the angels were in the tank, then I could not add more neons as they would be attracted to chasing any newcomers to the tank.
That's just been my experience of them :)
Most aquarists are unlikely to get them to full size of 10-12'' inches in depth, let alone be able to accommodate them. That's when the real problems start. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: