Andy's tank log.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:46 am Sorry to read this @Andys temperate tank, these colour morph Rams don't seem very strong and are prone to infections.

As @plankton says breeding has a lot to do with it. Any idea where he originated from, many come from far East farms, bred in outside pools.
I'd had the fish since the end of August. He probably grew by 50% in the time I had him. I'd have thought any problems bred I to him would have shown up before now.
Maybe, maybe not. I remember when these German blue rams first appeared, back then they where very temperamental with water quality and many I read don't have a very long lifespan.

I refuse to keep anything that has been line bred or morphed for colour size etc. Over the years all to often I found the longevity of these sorts fish to be short or prone to diseases and found I've had less issues with mainline fish species, although this still can be problematic with even these species.

Take the Neon Tetra, at one time these fish where very hardy during the eighties and nineties, could even been said as near bullet proof in some cases. Now, I seen a lot of of deformities, deformed fins, missing gill plates and missing eyes, mouth parts, not to mention any internal issues we cannot see and many of these fish will be prone to infections. It's no longer an easy fish to keep, they've been bred and bred over and over again for the pet trade, along with many other fish species. I've observed this recently in a aquatics in young Angelfish, Guppies and Tetras in this state, very sad how retailers will sell them this way.

Don't take me wrong, I'm in no doubt there are some fish morphs that have no issues and live full lives in a home aquarium but I'm afraid say tropical fishkeeping has with some species can be a bit of a lottery.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

They’re not actually German Blue Rams. The GBR was a variety that wasn’t around for long and was discontinued, and doesn’t exist anymore, although occasionally you’ll see one that is similar. But all Ram varieties today are pretty weak compared to how they used to be.
Back in the 70s and 80s all these fish that are weak today were strong. Inbreeding has done this to a lot of fish. Basically these days if it isn’t a naturally occurring species or variety, or if it has been bred in farms for many generations, it’s weak. Even the newer ones like the electric blue rams, acaras and Jack Dempseys are ridiculously weak.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

After losing the ram the other week we have dropped the temperature in the kitchen tank to 24 degrees and have added 6 panda cory.

Zarra chose then and I like them as well. They look good on the black sand. I may add another 2 soon.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

If they're like mine you won't need to - I have an average total of about 12 pandas of all ages in the tank at all times since the first 6 decided to spawn after about 8 years..... ;) :D
Mine are at 22C.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Andys temperate tank

plankton wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:52 am If they're like mine you won't need to - I have an average total of about 12 pandas of all ages in the tank at all times since the first 6 decided to spawn after about 8 years..... ;) :D
Mine are at 22C.
Itll be a while before I see any spawning Ian. They are only about 3/4 of and inch long. I've went for 24 degrees as it's at the lower end of temp tolerance of the gold tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Andys temperate tank

Update time.

The pepper corys have slowly dwindled away to nothing since my last post and to top it off I've just got back from a weeks holiday to find 2 very over fed aquariums. (My sister in law and her fella have been looking after them for me.) It looks like I've lost a couple of golden tetra. The 6 that were left were looking extremely stressed so I dumped the cases and got the waterchange gear out.

I took the dead amazon sword leaves off then removed the bog wood and siphoned the substrate clean. While that was happening the anubias on the trees broke away so I tidies those up and placed them else where.

All seems well again this morning. The golden tetra have their colour back and will be fasting for a day or 2 now.

I would like some new fish buy can't decide which way to go in here now.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Sorry to hear about the peppers, has it been too warm for them? :(
I just leave the fish if I go away.....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Andys temperate tank

plankton wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:03 am Sorry to hear about the peppers, has it been too warm for them? :(
I just leave the fish if I go away.....
Not sure Ian. Could be that, they never really out any weight on. They came from a new LFS that opened in my area so give them a try. I won't be going back.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Hi Andy, glad the tank is still running, all looks very clean and smart but I'm sure that's not what you needed having just got back from holiday!
how about some dwarf cory like pygmy's? Hengeli or the similar Espei rasbora are nice but it's all so personal isn't it, I'm sure once you get out browsing there will be plenty of choice :happy:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish