Dwarf rainbow issues

Danmassey
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 73 times

Hello folks
I have a group of dwarf neon rainbow fish who have been settled in the tank for about 6 weeks now. Today I've noticed 2 issues that are worrying me. 1 appears to have a long white cotton string trail of poo for past 3 hours. Is this a fungal? The other I don't know much about and is hard to show in the pics. There appears to be a bit of a growth below her left eye. Frustratingly it's on the side they usually show to the wall so I've not had a great look at it. Any suggestions as to diagnosis and treatments?

Danmassey

I should add I've done water tests today pre water change and ammonia, nitrites were undetectable. Nitrates were at the most 5ppm. Since looking a but closer, another rainbow - the one on the far right in the pic, has a speck of white fluff on his chin. I'll head to shop tomorrow for some pimafix?
Danmassey

Managed some better pics
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5480 times
Been liked: 2684 times

Hard to say, it does look like a possible injury thats gone fungal. I know some of the bigger rainbows can show white marks on their lips if water quality isn’t kept up but it doesn’t look like that :-/
The pimafix might help along with extra changes to keep the water pristine,
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Danmassey

Yeah that's the plan, of course this happens the day before I go camping for a few nights!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3437 times

The eye looks like fungal growth following damage.
How many males do you have and how many females? (males have red fins, females yellow)
I'm going to guess it's from sparring.
The waste material I have no idea - what are you feeding?
Danmassey

Hi - I've got 5 females and 3 males. I've seen the male with pale poop make more normal coloured stuff since so less concerned with that. I feed a mix of sinking catfish pellets and some orange granules the name of which escapes me. I give frozen worms probably once a week

I'll keep an eye out for sparring. Didn't intend the pun but now I've read it back I'm keeping it! As soon as I get moved I'm upgrading tank volume and will flesh out the group
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5091 times
Been liked: 3437 times

Rainbows need really small granules as their throats are very small in comparison to their bodies, and they'll need smaller frozen food like daphnia and brine shrimp. They can manage bigger food sometimes, but if it gets stuck they will choke.
I tend to use the Tetra Mini Granules and high protein pellets that I now get from Heron's Pet World.
I didn't have much luck with rainbows, but did keep one female dwarf neon for about 18 months.
Danmassey

Ah thanks for that I've noticed them struggle with the worms. I think the granules I've got are tetra prima - I've heard about herons world they're on my list of things to explore
Gill
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 13 times

I originally had 5 rainbows, 1 male and 4 female, but recently lost one of the females. I’m hoping to get a few more to make a better group, what ratio male to female do you advise?