5 new galaxy rasbora died less than 24 hours

robbo81
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 28 times

Ruth wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 18:36 pm Aww sorry to hear that. I don’t know anything about those wee fish. Where did you get them?
Aquatics to your door the site was called. I’m not bad mouthing this company by the way. The service was very speedy so I’ve no issues with them.
AshLawson
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 91 times

Out of interest did you test the water they came in?
200l 1000x500 planted Amazonian, 24 x Paracheirodon innesi, 10 x Hyphessobrycon megalopterus, 6 x Corydoras Sterbai, 1 x BNP. Still to add a pair of Angels
2 x Fluval U4 internal
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 60 times

:( sorry to hear about this.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
15 Tiger barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
robbo81

AshLawson wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 18:43 pm Out of interest did you test the water they came in?
I very nearly did. I do now and again test the water from my local fish place but his water quality is usually spot on. Having never used this seller before I was going to test but in the chaos of all the building work going on in my house at the min I tipped the bag before I did.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4281 times
Been liked: 3932 times

Don't think there any wrong with your setup, your Shrimp are always a good indicator, although 26°C is a little warm, this species have been recorded in that temperature presumably seasonally in the native Myanmar. Personally, I think the mistake was two fold, firstly, I would of not fed them on the first night, I'd leave them at lease 24 hours for them to acclimatise to their new surroundings. Secondly feeding flake with these little fish is not such a good idea. These fish are 'Micro Predators' and live naturally on small live prey so live or defrosted frozen foods would have a better idea, as dry food can cause bloat in their gut. Knowing how dry prepared fish foods can cause unexplained deaths, I feel sure this would explain your losses.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

I'm sorry for your loss. Where is the company based and how different is their water to yours? You can look it up online if you know their postcode, assuming they use tap water, or ask them. A big difference in hardness can cause osmotic stress on the fish which can show up as seeming OK at first but then dying.

Having just had a fish by post delivery and spent a while researching the pros and cons, it does seem that some more sensitive species can be affected by the stress, ammonia build up in the bag, and it can just be too much for them. I don't know much about galaxy rasbora but rosy tetras are a pretty robust species, which might explain the difference in survival. There is also a view (not sure if true but there is a reasonable scientific rationale involving pH changes and ammonia toxicity once the bag is opened) that a slow acclimation can be detrimental to fish that have spent a long while in bag water and it may be better to get them out into clean water matching their home water, then slowly acclimate to yours.

Just some thoughts. Your tank is beautiful and will be a very happy home for some lucky fish.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5480 times
Been liked: 2684 times

Sorry for your losses :(
As others have said temp may have been a bit warm, and being small fish they are more susceptible to temperature.
They also require some degree of hardness although that wouldn’t have got to them overnight.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Suse wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 19:32 pm There is also a view (not sure if true but there is a reasonable scientific rationale involving pH changes and ammonia toxicity once the bag is opened) that a slow acclimation can be detrimental to fish that have spent a long while in bag water and it may be better to get them out into clean water matching their home water, then slowly acclimate to yours.
Interesting you should say this, I just watched this video a couple of days ago and I had no idea that when the bag is opened to drip acclimate water etc you are at risk of poisoning the fish due to interactions with the ammonia build up.

https://youtu.be/SMoYvtTzKkI
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
robbo81

Thanks again for your replies folks. I to have seen this topic on YouTube , I think it was joey ( king of diy I think he’s called )
I’ve been out and bought a more accurate digital thermometer so I can keep a better eye on the temp.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

robbo81 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 19:57 pm Thanks again for your replies folks. I to have seen this topic on YouTube , I think it was joey ( king of diy I think he’s called )
I’ve been out and bought a more accurate digital thermometer so I can keep a better eye on the temp.
Yes, it's one of Joey's videos. I love watching his channel.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'