Doris the widowed Ram .... would she like a group?

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

So my LFS have a lovely batch of Bolivians in (trying to decide what to put in 350ltr)

They can be sexed as they are pretty mature.

Doris is nearly 4. What are folks thoughts about putting say a male and 3 female Bolivians in at this stage with her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter
Posting Legend
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Only know for sure by trying...
Suelo

I have a group of 5 Bolivians. I've had them over 9 months, and I've still no idea of their sexes! There is constant 'banter' going on within the group - they each have to have their own little space/territory within the tank, and no two hang about together. I'm not sure if this is typical of a group's behaviour. I don't know whether I'm humanising them too much, but I wonder whether an older ram would like her space invaded by such a group, but then again might she relish the interaction?
Ruth
Posting Legend

Suelo wrote: I have a group of 5 Bolivians. I've had them over 9 months, and I've still no idea of their sexes! There is constant 'banter' going on within the group - they each have to have their own little space/territory within the tank, and no two hang about together. I'm not sure if this is typical of a group's behaviour. I don't know whether I'm humanising them too much, but I wonder whether an older ram would like her space invaded by such a group, but then again might she relish the interaction?
Aye - thats my quandary exactly - would she rather be on her own.  It would be hard to rectify a mistake - once they're in they're in!  I think to get 4 years out of them is doing well so maybe just be patient and let her have her day and think again when she's gone.  I think with what you are saying she'd be better off alone - a quiet life.  Not like she's all alone - there's plenty going on around her.

Thanks.  That helps.
Suelo

Unless Doris moved to your smaller tank, and you had a group in the bigger tank? Or had that as a back-up plan?
Ruth
Posting Legend

[quote="Suelo" pid='9310' dateline='1523806105']
Unless Doris moved to your smaller tank, and you had a group in the bigger tank? Or had that as a back-up plan?
[/quote]

That’s an option, but she uses the whole footprint of that big tank. I shall just be patient. Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk