New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 1839 times

So if I keep the 306, i’d Need *two* internal filters as well?
Yikes...how on earth do Fluval justify selling it with a 306, knowing a large majority of fishkeepers will add way more fish than i’m Planning and I already have an additional internal on it?!
Thanks for the honesty Stephen; I rely on it! I’ll take a look at the Eheim as a future upgrade in the next year.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 am So if I keep the 306, i’d Need *two* internal filters as well?
Yikes...how on earth do Fluval justify selling it with a 306, knowing a large majority of fishkeepers will add way more fish than i’m Planning and I already have an additional internal on it?!
Thanks for the honesty Stephen; I rely on it! I’ll take a look at the Eheim as a future upgrade in the next year.
@VikingMummy2015
VikingMummy2015 wrote:240L, running 306 external plus Fluval 4 plus internal.
I missed the Fluval 4 plus internal filter (sorry) :blush: (Stephen hides in the gap where his new Juwel Lido 120 will reside, hopefully no one will see him)
My apologise for not fully reading what you had written.

The Fluval 306 external filter + the Fluval 4 plus internal filter.
You are therefore fine for filtration but probably just slightly over-stocked when all the fish are fully grown.
The Fluval 306 external filter, on it's own would only give around 65% filtration but with the addition of the Fluval 4 plus internal filter now gives around 115% filtration based on the current stock.
Well done VM on adding the additional internal filter, good thinking on your part, sorry I missed it.

425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Phew.... I was worrying i’d Got it badly wrong there 😅 (but still think it’s bad of Fluval to not provide a more appropriate filter). I’ll still look into upgrading for longer term, once my funds have recovered. Definitely can’t have too much filtration (so long as the flow doesn’t go crazy 🤣).
You can come out of hiding....it’ll kill your back and we like you gurus to be human!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

So I did approximately 75% w/c yesterday on the Roma, added 6ml ammonia (over 2ppm) and it’s all cleared within 21 hours so I’m happy. I’ve messaged my LFS guy to ask about ottos (couldn’t remember if he had some in or was waiting on a delivery) as the brown diatoms on the older plants from the 54L are driving me crazy. He’s usually closed Mon/Tue but i’ve Been cheeky and asked if there’s a chance to pick up my reserved stock before Wednesday 🤣. Tank is dosed with 7ml (roughly 3ppm) ammonia for today because it seems to be coping well. So i’ve Got my fingers crossed for another big W/c Monday morning and a busy tank by the evening. Technically I could go through today or tomorrow but my son doesn’t like the store (it’s small and noisy) so I can’t get a proper visit in!
Edit: he has ottos but it’ll be Wednesday before he lets me have the stock (forgot the sterbai were still in quarantine until then).

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ok...so as posted elsewhere, I managed to successfully transfer over the barbs and honeys in about half an hour 🤣. I don’t think i’d qualify for a job in my lfs at that rate! All 10 fish are actively exploring the tank. Can’t believe how much brighter the cherry boys look under these lights compared to the Flex. The honeys also seem fine with the level of flow, swimming at all levels and definitely not getting blown about (I baffled the internal filter and moved the external outputs about so the surface is quiet).

The flex is going to sit empty for the rest of the afternoon/evening as the water got quite muddy from the experience 🤦🏽‍♀️. I’ve taken the opportunity to move a few of the bits around and hopefully Ghost will like it once I transfer him over. I’ll feed it ammonia this afternoon if I don’t think it’s going to clear in time (seriously can’t be bothered doing a large enough water change to clear it up 🤣)...we’ll see. Going to message my lfs guy and see what time I can sit in his doorstep from (technically doesn’t open until 1 but he’s there earlier). Really happy I went for the big tank 🥰

Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

You sound happy VM. ::thumbu::

Nice pic. We need a full tank shot now theres fish in!
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Fish look beautiful VM. They will be thinking they've won the lottery with all that extra space!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

My lfs guy can’t count 🤣. Well, he can but he likes to give extra. Just home and checking the bags and will get started acclimating at one side of the room whilst transferring Ghost at the other because the Flex has cleared up.
No Emperors and lfs says he’s missing 9 boxes of fish in the past week alone (Colombia). But i’m happy to wait and see if he gets some in time for Christmas before I go online. Can’t argue with his prices for a start; £78 for 12 sterbai, 12 rummies and 8 ottos (plus the freebies).

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

What are the freebies? How exciting :)
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

That's a great price for all those fish, even without freebies! Nice one.