Serpae Tetras

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Some of you may know I'd planned to increase my numbers of X-Ray Tetra - Pristella maxillaris and Black Neon Tetras - Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi.

I'm not going to name the aquatics I visited today and neither I visited are bad stores, but please retailers, use some common sense!

Id been emailing around as X-Ray Tetra seem to be hard to come by at the present time.

Two South East fish shops replied they had them in stock, first store had quite a few in fact, mixed with a new species of Cardinal Tetra ...covered in white spots. :dodgy2:

So onto the next store who had listed them in stock. Looking around the aquatics, I struggled to find any X-Ray Tetra, browsing around there was quite a few empty tanks or duplicate collections of fish for sale. I don't know about all of you but noticed of late, presumably due to the pandemic this seems to be the norm in many aquatics. Waiting for a member of staff to become free, I saw a aquarium full of blood red Serpae Tetras and very fine fish they were too. I have kept them but as a species only 24 x 12 aquarium years ago because I soon found how aggressive they can be to other species and I always feel they don't make a very good community fish. Laying a the bottom of this aquarium was a few decease fish, which is always a shame to see but these weren't Serpae's but reading the labels were X-Ray Tetra, Horsehead Loach - Acantopsis dialuzona (of which I couldn't see any living specimens) and in the top left hand corner were three, very small, pale, nipped X-Ray Tetra with what must of been 50-70 Serpae's milling around them. I dread to think what hell the poor Loaches went through, maybe they buried themselves, can't say I'd blame them!

Now I don't normally rescue fish but on this occasion I did, the three fish are now residing very peacefully in quarantine. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Glad you rescued them, hopefully they will grow and recover now they’re not stuck in with a load of angry serpaes :)
We went to a maidenhead today on our way home, only a small one in dobbies in Northampton. TBF the tanks were clean, no deceased fish anywhere. Only issue was one maybe two questionable stockings. The most memorable being a gold ram and an apisto aggassizi. Surprisingly the ram seemed to be the boss whereas the aggassizi was mulling around the back and corners looking a little sorry for himself. I would love to have rescued him but we have no room and the wrong water requirements. He wasn’t injured that i could see, just looking a bit glum whereas the ram was all up for attention.
Otherwise everyone else seemed happy and very active. They did have quite a few baby/young green phantom plecos, i think its the first time I’ve seen such young ones in a store, probably a little bigger than Sarah when i got her. But at £41 each 😳 again we dont have the right requirements for them but that is a relatively expensive fish :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Hopefully they recover well :D I have no doubt that they will in your capable hands!

@Gingerlove05 Wootton? haven't been in for years, whats it like since being taken over? Most of the dobbies around here have binned off the maidenhead aquatics which is a real shame.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

fr499y wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 18:10 pm Hopefully they recover well :D I have no doubt that they will in your capable hands!

@Gingerlove05 Wootton? haven't been in for years, whats it like since being taken over? Most of the dobbies around here have binned off the maidenhead aquatics which is a real shame.
Yeah it is Wootton (I had to check ROFL, I dont like driving round Northampton much).
Its only a small place at the back left corner of Dobbies, Sainsburys is at the same end, you have to almost walk through an aisle to walk in to MA. They had 2 long racks of tanks with all the freshwater fish, I didnt see any marines. The rest was occupied by aquariums/stands and other equipment.
There still seem to be a few MA’s round here within the garden centres, I haven’t been to the one in Burton Latimer yet (and its just round from my work!) but I know that one moved from Wellingborough :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3413 times

Well done on the rescue Martin, I hope they fully recover.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)