What is this swelling on my fishes back/dorsal area?

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Speedfox
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times

Hi all,

Anyone seen this type of illness before?

Swelling on my guppies back near his dorsal fin? The other guppy also has it but its on his body at his tail instead. (cant see in picture)

Things I've tried:
Salt
Esha 2000
Myxazin

They have had it a few weeks and cant seem to get rid of it :s

Tank parameters are all in check.

Any advice?

Thanks all
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 2672 times

Possibly a tumour.
I had something similar looking on one of my platies/plattails. It didnt really seem to affect them, and they lived a full life. It did seem to come up a bit more in later life so age could be a contributing factor.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Speedfox

Tumours wouldnt be on 2 fish would it?

2 of them has it. Its like something that was on their fins and has spread to their body. The one with half has tail rotted away has it on his body near his tail but you cant see it in the picture that well because he wouldnt stop moving for a picture :D
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

It is possible if they’re related or from a similar gene pool.
How long have you had them? And what are your water parameters including hardness (not the same as ph ;))
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Speedfox

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:50 am It is possible if they’re related or from a similar gene pool.
How long have you had them? And what are your water parameters including hardness (not the same as ph ;))
Yes the 2 orange ones probably are from the same genes because they are born and raised in my tanks. They are 1 year old.

They are in quarantine tank now but all has same parameters.

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
PH 8.2
Temp 74

I do have a API hardness test kit but honestly I don't understand the instructions/results from it. But I can tell you that it water is very very hard. I can send a picture if you understand the results of it haha :huh:
Last edited by Speedfox on Tue Jul 20, 2021 14:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedfox

Tried to get some better pics of the bad one. He is slowing down now probably doesn't have long left :(

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

You can look the water hardness up on your water supplier website, that is if your using dechlorinated tap water for water changes.
The hardness tests normally change colour once you add enough drops to match the reading, adding one drop at a time and shaking it in between checking. I can’t remember the exact method I’d have to look at mine.
Speedfox

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 15:49 pm You can look the water hardness up on your water supplier website, that is if your using dechlorinated tap water for water changes.
The hardness tests normally change colour once you add enough drops to match the reading, adding one drop at a time and shaking it in between checking. I can’t remember the exact method I’d have to look at mine.
From the water supplier website

TOTAL HARDNESS 320 mg/l
Total hardness is usually expressed in terms of calcium carbonate and is measured in milligrammes per litre (mg/l) which is the same as parts per million (ppm). The recognised classification scheme we are using is: 0-75 soft, 76-150 moderately hard, 151-300 hard, 300+ very hard. Your water is very hard.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Definitely hard enough :)
17.9dgh (German hardness), so yes very hard :)
For the infection/injury clean water/extra water changes should help, melafix might help with preventing further infections. You can also feed food that is infused with garlic as garlic helps boost the immune system. I generally use the gamma frozen blister packs, you can get brineshrimp with garlic, either on its own or as a 5 variety pack :)
Speedfox

I do have garlic shrimp packs mate Ill give them some more tomorrow.