Stores near Kettering

Found a LFS you rate highly? Post the details here.
SEANY PT
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 80 times

fr499y wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:50 am Is hobbyfish up and running after it’s fire?
I think they are trading from a temporary building outside the old fire damaged one according to their website. Hopefully they will be back soon stronger than ever as I always found them to be a really good shop.
Just returned to the hobby ::thumbu::

Leddy XL 60 (72ltr), planted, CO2,
Carinotetraodon irrubesco (Red eyed Puffer)

TMC nano 30 - Snail breeder tank

Send me your pest snails......🐌🐡
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

tbf, i went in a few months before the fire and though to myself *jeez this place has gone down hill* as it looked a bit of a tip at the back of the shop! I used to get my live rock from there though as price and quality just couldnt be beaten anywhere else near me!
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

@jammedfool how did you get on with the road trip?
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

Well... what a day...
Felt like I barely had to put my foot on the gas some of the time, the wind was that strong! ROFL
I only managed 3 stores in the end...

Store 1:
Kettering aquatics
I didnt stay long here, but there were plenty of fish, interesting ones, good variety, all looking healthy. They had even given some red crabs a land area where most tend to just keep them submerged the whole time (and there were several just enjoying some time emerged).
The reason I didnt stay long was that although the fish were great, I wasnt really there to buy fish - how could I with more stores to visit?
If I lived more local I would probably go again for fish.
Also, it did feel quite crampted in there, with a strange awkwardness for someone not looking to buy immediately... so I left, and by that time it was lunch. (Meal deal from sainsburys!)

Store 2:
Maidenhead aquatics - Burton Latimer @Gingerlove05 you should visit!
Within a garden centre (It isnt signed very well within the garden centre - dont turn left or you'll do what I did and walk the whole perimiter trying to find it!)
I decided to pop in here as it was on the way to the next scheduled store.
As it happens, it was well worth the visit. Aside from the normal MA equipment stocking, there was a HUGE selection of fish. I felt comfortable here to be able to take my time examining every tank, spotting several types of each species, some I'd never heard of (not that surprising...) or only seen on seriouslyfish.
Thus, I spent more time here than in the previous store. Again, if I were more local or visiting Kettering again, I might go with the intent of taking something home next time.

Onwards then to my third and final stop on tour - the one I wanted to see....

Store 3:
Aquarium gardens
This place has a very "destination store" feel to it. Out of the way, but with something very different about it as I'll try to convey through a short story... (waynes world flashback music)

Located in what seems to be some barn units, the wind was howling, making everything rattle.
Walking in was like stepping into an art gallery, awesome! Definitely not the shop to visit if you're looking to stock fish though.
You are instantly greeted with a scape which pops with green and natural lines. Around the showroom are several scapes, which were recognisable from youtube videos etc. great to see them in person and get a better feel for the size and layout, great for inspiration...
But it was quiet... almost too quiet...
I walked further into the shop to the hardscape section where a chap was rummaging through some rocks. I said "hi" as his back was turned, to not startle him... which startled him. I found out he didnt work there, and so far I'd seen no store person! But they appeared to be out back, sorting orders.
I started to look around at the huge array of hardscape. Giant boulders, giant trunks and then down to the smaller root wood. I struggled to take it in and had to walk back and forth a bit to get my bearings. Meanwhile the guy I met had started placing his rocks in formation in one of the "dojos" - these are an awesome thing to have in a fish shop - an open fronted tank, with sand for testing out hardscape layout.
A store person appeared shortly after and then another, so it wasnt completely unmanned. Far from it, the guys there are very helpful.
I'd spent a fair while picking up rocks which were similar sizes to the stuff I already had and placing them in another "dojo" along with some wood. It was looking OK but not great. I'd seen the guy chat with the store person, he'd been making suggestions as to wood and layout etc. So after a couple of times saying "yeah fine" to the question "how are you getting on?", I plucked up the courage and sort of indicated I might need some help. Within a few minutes, he picked up some more wood, rearranged it and explained what he was doing, giving suggestions. But I didnt feel like he'd taken over too much, he left me to play about a bit more... not that I could improve on things.
Next, he helped select some plants using the showroom for inspiration and demonstration, picked up the little tropica pots and dotted them around the scape to show how they might go. However, there were about 12 pots - (e.g. 4 of Rotala H'ra!) which I thought might be overkill for my skill level, plus I want to use as much of the existing plants as possible, especially with pots at £6 each .
So after taking a video/photos of the scape, we took it apart and I came home with (to my surprise) £60 of wood for my planned rescape.

Overall, I loved it. There are no fish for sale, but the scaped tanks are immaculate, customer service was first class and I came home with more than just wood - I learned some things! Not least that aquarium wood can be deceptively expensive!
The shop is set up very well to provide you with a way to try out a scape, and then buy that exact scape on the same day. So while it felt there was a slight premium (probably just picked the wrong wood!) I came away happy that it was a bit like an experience day.
Well worth the 1.5hr drive home!

And there we have it...
Jaws, Northampton fish and reptile centre, and Hobby Fish will have to wait for another day!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Thanks for your write up I like to do a road trip to visit a new store now and again, it's an enjoyable way to spend a day and these shops would not be too far from me so this might be good inspiration for another trip! Google tells me these stores are 1.5hrs away so not too bad, even my local shops are 40mins away, the last 2 times I have tried stores at 1hr, Maidenhead at Brigg which was quite large carried a lot of dry goods and perfectly ok for fish, I got some penguin tetra and small Cory there, and world of water near Nottingham which was frankly terrible, but it makes us appreciate the good stores I suppose! Water zoo at Peterborough is a good shop, but getting to it and parking is a pain so I haven't been in a long time, then there is Wharf Aquatics which is well worth a day trip if you get the chance :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

@jammedfool did you check out the marine section in Kettering Aquatics? Some money back there!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

fr499y wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 16:33 pm @jammedfool did you check out the marine section in Kettering Aquatics? Some money back there!
I was going to ask the same thing.
They normally have some stunning marine species in.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 17:05 pm
fr499y wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 16:33 pm @jammedfool did you check out the marine section in Kettering Aquatics? Some money back there!
I was going to ask the same thing.
They normally have some stunning marine species in.
I didn't but only because I was a bit put off by one of the guys working there :blush: .
At least I have reefkeeper down the road to see marine - there's no end of tangs, wrasses, clowns and whatever other species there are. They do seeem more intelligent than most trops too!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss