A new project

Betta's, Gouramis etc
RandomTeaPig
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 87 times

Hi
So iv recently moved on most of my guppies to a few local people via rehoming sites. Iv only kept my two males who are both in my opinion stunning. One will be going to my sister once she moves to help start her little community in October as she loves him.
This will leave me eventually with a 40litre tank. I personally would rather a bigger tank but I just wouldnt have room. Most things I have read so far all say 40l is at the low end of whats acceptable for a Betta.
I have always wanted to try a Betta. My water is basically liquid chalk so i understand this may end up becoming a chemistry experiment to create the correct water parameters.
I will be busy researching for the next few months.
I was just wondering if anyone had picked up any little “I wish i knew that before i started” things that I may need to consider. And is a 40litre really going to be enough room? Im not convinced myself and I know a lot on here have had Bettas before.
Thanks in advance
dh 18
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

RandomTeaPig wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 16:55 pm Hi
So iv recently moved on most of my guppies to a few local people via rehoming sites. Iv only kept my two males who are both in my opinion stunning. One will be going to my sister once she moves to help start her little community in October as she loves him.
This will leave me eventually with a 40litre tank. I personally would rather a bigger tank but I just wouldnt have room. Most things I have read so far all say 40l is at the low end of whats acceptable for a Betta.
I have always wanted to try a Betta. My water is basically liquid chalk so i understand this may end up becoming a chemistry experiment to create the correct water parameters.
I was just wondering if anyone had picked up any little “I wish i knew that before i started” things that I may need to consider. And is a 40litre really going to be enough room? Im not convinced myself and I know a lot on here have had Bettas before.
Thanks in advance
40l is fine in my opinion. They don't do a lot of swimming! Have a look at Chen's Betta on facebook. They have some real stunners!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

40L will do for sure, I’ve kept them in 25L but better in 30/40L
RandomTeaPig

Thankyou.
Puts my mind at ease 👌
dh 18
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I would try to get the dGH down to a max of 8 from 18, you'll stand more chance of keeping a betta for 2+ years if it's softer.
RO is probably the way to go, with a 60% RO to 40% tap.
Also, don't overfeed....
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... f=11&t=224
RandomTeaPig

BigBen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 17:31 pm
RandomTeaPig wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 16:55 pm Hi
Thanks in advance
40l is fine in my opinion. They don't do a lot of swimming! Have a look at Chen's Betta on facebook. They have some real stunners!
They look stunning 😀
dh 18
RandomTeaPig

plankton wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:46 am I would try to get the dGH down to a max of 8 from 18, you'll stand more chance of keeping a betta for 2+ years if it's softer.
RO is probably the way to go, with a 60% RO to 40% tap.
Also, don't overfeed....
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... f=11&t=224
Thanks for the start. Will definately do some tests to see what happens when i mix RO 60/40 . The feeding guide will also be very helpfil 👍
dh 18