Sparkling Gourami's

Betta's, Gouramis etc
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Any tips on keeping these? Seriously fish reckons my new tanks are big enough for a small group and I'm really itchy to try different species at the moment! I think I've seen them in a blackwater set up before, or should it be heavily planted. I'll use floating plants either way :happy: It would be species specific probably.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Pretty much as SF advises. Dim lighting, plant thickets, as much floating plant cover as possible, still water (not much flow), and a lid so they don’t get a chill from breathing the air above. No energetic tankmates. Peace and quiet. They’re found in both black- and clearwater. Avoid very hard water.They’re actually quite hardy as long as they have those conditions, and feel safe.
They would be best with just a sponge filter with a return that pointed straight upwards rather than across the surface, to minimise the flow. They’re not strong swimmers.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

black ghost wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 18:07 pm Pretty much as SF advises. Dim lighting, plant thickets, as much floating plant cover as possible, still water (not much flow), and a lid so they don’t get a chill from breathing the air above. No energetic tankmates. Peace and quiet. They’re found in both black- and clearwater. Avoid very hard water.They’re actually quite hardy as long as they have those conditions, and feel safe.
They would be best with just a sponge filter with a return that pointed straight upwards rather than across the surface, to minimise the flow. They’re not strong swimmers.
Thanks! It will be a HMF but I can turn them down very low. I tested my tapwater earlier, ph7.2 , Kh 1 and GH 3, so soft water isn't an issue! Is a group ok? I wondered about how typically gourami they are with males not being too keen on one another?
black ghost
Posting Legend

The tiny gouramies are not typical at all. They’re very peaceful, males and females, and prefer being in a group. Even a pair alone will be peaceful. Males can get a bit defensive when they’re breeding but they only need a few inches of space.
Soft water is best for them. :)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3918 times

I've always felt the smaller Gouramis fair better in a species only set up. Noisy little critters too!

Turn the volume up.

A few years back 'Foo the Flowerhorn' did a series of videos with these fish in a no filter set up.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

It will be species only most likely. Potentially some Oto's but probably not as I don't want to massively stock the HMF tanks.

That first video has sold them even more!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Are Sparkling Gourami also known as Croaking Gourami, or is that a different fish?
black ghost
Posting Legend

Different fish, but same requirements.

Sparkling is Trichopsis pumila.
Croaking is Trichopsis vittata.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Great, thanks! I wish shops would display scientific names as well as a common name. Makes life far easier!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

BigBen wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 16:49 pm Great, thanks! I wish shops would display scientific names as well as a common name. Makes life far easier!
When I asked my local shop about that they said they display what they are told by the supplier. I think accurately identifying many types of similar fish is beyond many shop staff so they leave the responsibility up to buyers.