Algae every day

Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

Hey all
So when I set out with my new aquarium I initially put in just pretty rocks and some slate.
I've since added some plants ( first time in all the years of being in the hobby).
Not sure what plants I have currently, or if I need additional fertiliser.
I am cleaning green algae off the glass almost daily!!!
I was under the impression the plants would out compete the algae for nutrients with the added bonus of lowering nitrates.
King british liquid plant food has been added in the water column every 2 weeks as per instructions.
I also have 2 0r 3 root tabs by the larger plant next to the filter.

The plants have not been in a very long time but have sprouted new life. Not sure if they look healthy or not.

Is the algae bloom temporary while the plants establish?
Cheers for any advice.

John

Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Plants can be a bit complicated but the most obvious answers are
a. Plants might take a while to adapt to your water, they could kill of old leaves to create new ones more suited to the conditions. This is normal and they might look sorry for themselves but it's just them adapting, until then they may not be as good at using up nutrients.
b. You are lacking some nutrients, plants will generally out-compete algae but they need a more complex mix of nutrients. Nobody quite knows what does trigger algae so it's hard to work out why you are still getting a lot.
c. You might be putting to much fertiliser in, you'll find ideal values for different nutrients listed different places but take them with a pinch of salt, guides rather than rules.
Munchy2007
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 253 times

In addition to the above, you might want to look at the length of time your lights are on. Try reducing it to 6 hours and see how it goes.

You may find that even less lighting time is required, at least initially, to get things under control, I made a post here https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... 55#p124655 where I describe how I got on top of my algae problems.
Bluetaurus

Thank you both for the replies.
I've only used the liquid fertiliser once so far and half the recommended dose. It states to use fortnightly or when doing a water change.
The lights I've recently reduced to the 6 hours like suggested.

With the type of plants I have would the water column in general be enough without additional ferts?
Cheers
John
Low tech set up.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4287 times

Split the dose up daily. If it says 5ml a week then do one ml a day. It’s better to always have the ferts available in a usable proportion, than to have it all dumped in at once.
Bluetaurus

fr499y wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 19:50 pm Split the dose up daily. If it says 5ml a week then do one ml a day. It’s better to always have the ferts available in a usable proportion, than to have it all dumped in at once.
Thank u
I can try that
Low tech set up.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Water flow rate might be an issue although you'd have to be a bit care because of your Gouramis.

How long has this setup been running? I would suggest the plants need more time to establish to out compete the algae.

You could try some floating plants like Dwarf water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) which help out complete the algae until the main plants have grown in.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Bluetaurus

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:33 pm Image

Water flow rate might be an issue although you'd have to be a bit care because of your Gouramis.

How long has this setup been running? I would suggest the plants need more time to establish to out compete the algae.

You could try some floating plants like Dwarf water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) which help out complete the algae until the main plants have grown in.
Hi and thanks for the reply
The filter is 540l per hour with a spray bar and it's turned up full. I also have a bubbler which is on half power so room there if it might help?
The tank has been cycled since a week before Christmas but the plants have only been in around 3 weeks I guess.
I did look at floating plants but woried about light getting to my other plants.
Low tech set up.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

You could do with dosing fertiliser daily, which will increase plant growth.

Every new aquarium is different and all setups go through an algae stage.

What is your tap water supply test results?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Bluetaurus

I haven't tested my tap water, I we looking for high nitrates?
I could try dosing ferts each day. The types of plants I have are mainly routed. So will ferts in the water column make much difference to growth?
I have root tabs I could insert into the substrate if that would help.
Low tech set up.