Second hand tank

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Saralouise2775
Been liked: 1 time

Hi I just got a 90l bargain of Facebook. But the guy I bought it of has been doing work on the house so glass is stained with brick dust and lighting units a mess a cleaning tips would be appreciated. Also I have my heart set on Cory cats but don't have a means of washing my substrate outdoors. So can anyone give me tips for that and recommend which sand is best to buy thanks.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

White vinegar is brilliant for cleaning tanks, rinse it out with tap water afterwards.

Any fine sand will work for cories and you can always add it to an empty tank, fill slowly as to not disturb it too much and then run a filter with floss for a few days to remove any of the dust particles, that and a few water changes.

Take a look at the guides on here, especially the cycling guide if you are new to aquariums 😁. Oh and welcome to AF-UK
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
The Unipac sand doesn't seem to be too "dusty", I used that last time I needed extra sand (upgraded a smaller tank) and I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of "dust" when I cleaned it (fortunately I can clean outside).
White vinegar or lemon juice are pretty good for most cleaning purposes. You can use a mild bleach (like Milton sterilizing fluid), but remember to rinse with conditioned water afterwards to negate the chlorine. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

I use Maidenhead aquatics speckled sand for my two nanos. Whilst it is lovely sand it was horrifically dusty and took an age and god knows how much water to rinse it sufficiently. There is no way of knowing how dusty substrate will be until you get it although some brands/products have a better reputation than others. However, it’s probably a good idea to assume it’ll need lots of rinsing, just in case. Do you have a friend or relative with an outdoor hose that you could use?
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Possibly important:

Before any wiping or rubbing give everything a very thorough hoovering - with a vacuum cleaner - else you may risk scratching the glass when you do start wiping or rubbing!
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

I always use Unipac now as I really value the fact that it is clean enough to go straight in without pre rinsing, I do use fine filter floss sometimes in a separate internal filter for the first couple of weeks if needed, I tried the MA brand once it was so dusty even after a lot of rinsing and several weeks in a tank - never again! good luck with the cleaning.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Or amtra sand is very clean and comes in a variety of grains and colours 😁
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1829 times

I have never rinsed sand outdoors 🤷🏻‍♀️. Bucket and bathtub/shower head does the job for me!
I have Barlows aquatic sand which is the highest recommended for cories and doesn’t need a great deal of rinsing. I had Limpopo black sand before that and it needed a lot more rinsing. I just did a couple of buckets at a time
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.