New nano , cycle & plants

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
ozzpoz
Has liked: 14 times

Hi, Yes that's what the box says. 😁.

It's just I've watched a few Vids of people doing the tests and they didn't count the 1st drop for KH , only the drops after up until the colour change.

And I read the GH instructions as not to including the 1st 2 drops.

Just wondered if anyone else was using these kits for a definitive answer.
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Well, according to the website and the box, the vid jockeys would seem to be wrong re the KH test?!

The first two drops (of reagent A) of the GH test are not counted. All drops of reagent B are counted (is how I read it).
ozzpoz

Vale! wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 14:08 pm Well, according to the website and the box, the vid jockeys would seem to be wrong re the KH test?!

The first two drops (of reagent A) of the GH test are not counted. All drops of reagent B are counted (is how I read it).
Thanks. That's also how I read it. 👍
ozzpoz

Sorry for the daily cycle updates. It's helping me keep track and on top of things , I do appreciate everyone's help.
My levels must of been alot higher than my tests kits measure. As after the 35ltr water change although the colours were lighter than yesterday they were still nitrite 8 and nitrate was still 80.
Ammonia was 1. PH had risen to 6.5. ( my tap is only 7 ) KH was 3 and GH 4.
Do I have to add ammonia everyday or can it go a day at 0 and add every other day. , with the hope nitrite starts to drop soon.
I'll keep my eye on the PH , if it drops again should I use baking soda to keep it up around 7.
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner

Well, it's 'good practice' to feed your microblighters every day until you have fishies to do that for you.

If you're determined to be concerned about things :tongue: (there's no reason to so far as I can see) then how about halving the daily dose of ammonia? Unless you're planning to stock heavily, cycling downhill at 1mg/l (or 1ppm if you prefer) should be perfectly adequate.

If I can, maybe tomorrow, I'll see if I can find an illustration for you of the nitrite munchers' behaviour.

You will believe!
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner

Well I haven't found the one I was hoping to find, but maybe this one will be OK ? ...

Look at the performance of nitrite (purple line) due to the action of nitrite-munchers up to Day 11. Note that I was adding nitrite from the beginning to give initial nitrite-munchers something to munch on! Its concentration builds and builds until, on Day 7 they suddenly kick into action. After that, they are able to process successive additions of nitrite to zero with ease.

Please also note that although I know that some/most/all of the ammonia-munchers here are not bacteria (as you have) the nitrite-munchers probably are, so you can reasonably expect similar behaviour.

If the above doesn't mean anything, just ignore. I do have a dreadful habit of overcomplicating things - probably showcasing my own lack of complete understanding!
ozzpoz

Thanks for taking the time to find me the graph. I'm just ready for mine to show signs of dropping. At the moment ammonia has slowed down going to zero. Nitrites seem to be stuck above 8.0 and nitrates are off the scale.
Today.
Ammonia 0.2 after adding 2.5ml everyday. ( this had been dropping to 0 over night untill today )
Nitrite still 8. More than likely higher
Nitrate showing 80 but prob much higher.
Ph dropped below 6.
Chris_jennings
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 109 times

When I cycle tanks as the nitrite and nitrate are off the scale i do a 75% water change and then add more ammonia. you are getting close now!
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

4 and 6. It’s the total number of drops to get the yellow (KH) or blue (GH).
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
ozzpoz

Hi. Quick update. Nitrite been dropping for a few days. Yesterday it was only just detectable. After dosing ammonia again last night today both ammonia & nitrite are 0.
How many days should I do it for to make sure alls good. And since nitrates are off the scale how big a water change should I do. My last one was 75% and it hardly made a dent.. it was still off scale.
Thanks.