Unalome's Rainbow Utopia

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

Thanks for your suggestions guys, here's a quick snap of the what I think is algae on my Anubias leaves, you can see the difference in leaves that is clear of it are so much brighter/greener...

54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:35 am Think you'll find most Australian rivers and streams where Rainbow Sp. are found have fair amounts of algae. Having watched these videos, you maybe able use Amano shrimp in your aquarium.
or a spider or snake for a true Australian biotope :rofl:

try spot dosing some hydrogen peroxide on the leaves and get a few amanos in there and it will soon vanish :)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Looking closer at your effected plants I'd suggest that dark brown algae is been cause be to much light and slow water flow with your Anubias. Can you increase the water flow and lower the light intensity, your Rainbows won't mind the extra flow. Floating plants might also help.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I'm already running my light pretty low compared to what it was and there is a strong wave maker in the tank which the Rainbows enjoy swimming into the flow all day.

Martinspuddle

Problem is Anubias don't do well in direct light. In the shade or low light they thrive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Maybe I'll give some floating plants and Amano shrimp a go to see if that helps...
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I went to my LFS on Friday with every intention to get some floating plants and amano shrimp... Unfortunately there were no floating plants in stock that took my fancy. I was talked out of buying Amanos in store after showing some images of my affected Anubias leaves, instead I was advised to go for some Otocinclus. I understand they prefer softer water which I raised in the shop to which their response was they are tank bred and in hard water here so they should be fine (so many different opinions in this hobby). Anyways they've been in for 3 days now and my god have they worked hard... On the plus side they have done an amazing job cleaning up my wood and plants which can be seen below...

On the negative side these guys have made an absolute mess of my sand bed with the amount of waste they produce, actually insane.

I also picked up a few pots of riccia fluitans moss which is something I wanted when I originally scaped the tank but couldn't get my hands on any so have had a rejig of a few plants to accommodate, hopefully it all settles in well.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

This looks awesome. It's roughly what I'm about to do with my 240l. This is how I picture it anyway. I've never quite mastered the scaping side of the hobby.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Martinspuddle

Unalome wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 18:55 pm Unfortunately there were no floating plants in stock that took my fancy. I was talked out of buying Amanos in store after showing some images of my affected Anubias leaves, instead I was advised to go for some Otocinclus. I understand they prefer softer water which I raised in the shop to which their response was they are tank bred and in hard water here so they should be fine (so many different opinions in this hobby). Anyways they've been in for 3 days now and my god have they worked hard... On the plus side they have done an amazing job cleaning up my wood and plants which can be seen below...

If these Otocinclus are tank bred your very lucky to get them not many are, most imported from the wild.

What are your water parameters?
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 20:36 pm
If these Otocinclus are tank bred your very lucky to get them not many are, most imported from the wild.

What are your water parameters?
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 30-40ppm
PH: 7.4
GH: 16.94 (degrees German)
KH: unknown (don't have a test for this)
Temperature: 24 degrees celcius