Unalome's Rainbow Utopia

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

Looks great. So clean and clear.
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 222 times

Added a group of red rainbows yesterday to complete my stocking, still very juvenile and got a lot of colouring up to do but broke out the camera to share them with you guys. Enjoy.

54L | Dark Start Tank | Tank log
250L | Rainbow Utopia Tank | Tank log
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2282 times
Been liked: 1946 times

They look great you can already see the potential, I am going back towards Rainbows from African in my big tank, so far I have gone for Celebes and Parkinsoni, I take it yours are Kutubu/ Lacustris? Very impressed by how clean your tank looks :happy: hope your new plants do well, Anubias and Buce always done well for me but never able to keep Java Fern alive which is frustrating as they make lovely big plants when happy.
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Staffylover wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:04 pm They look great you can already see the potential, I am going back towards Rainbows from African in my big tank, so far I have gone for Celebes and Parkinsoni, I take it yours are Kutubu/ Lacustris? Very impressed by how clean your tank looks :happy: hope your new plants do well, Anubias and Buce always done well for me but never able to keep Java Fern alive which is frustrating as they make lovely big plants when happy.
I have Boesmani, Lake Kutubu & Red's now with 1 Wapoga which was the only survivor from the bad batch I bought. Thanks, I put it down to the dark start method for skipping the ugly diatom stage - I have a bit of algae on the rocks and glass here and there but nothing major. Wavemaker has also worked a treat for picking up most waste from the sand with the exception of one dead spot that I just manually remove once a week with maintenance. I'm very interested to see which of the plants does well, my Anubias Bonsai has slowed down losing their leaves now since I reduced my lighting slightly and stopped with the liquid fertiliser.
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I've been inspired to try something new and attempt growing some houseplants out the top of my tank, started off with a little Tradescantia zebrina & Devils Ivy.

Anyone had success with either of these?

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1793 times
Been liked: 4249 times

Yes, take a look at my thread here: https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=162 for others that do well :)
Unalome
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Would I be wasting my time adding any kind of shrimp to this tank? i.e. will the Rainbow's devour them in seconds?

Reason I ask is I'm after something that will help battle the slight dusting of algae I have on my anubias leaves...
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Unalome wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 15:47 pm Would I be wasting my time adding any kind of shrimp to this tank? i.e. will the Rainbow's devour them in seconds?

Reason I ask is I'm after something that will help battle the slight dusting of algae I have on my anubias leaves...
I have no experience of Rainbow fishes but remembering if it can fit into a fishes mouth it will be eaten, you could try some Bamboo shrimp.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5077 times
Been liked: 3432 times

Bamboo/rock/mountain shrimp won't clear much algae though, you'd probably be better with a female bristlenose or nerite snails. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Think you'll find most Australian rivers and streams where Rainbow Sp. are found have fair amounts of algae. Having watched these videos, you maybe able use Amano shrimp in your aquarium.

In this video if you jump to 2:45 you'll see some of the habitat and indigenous crayfish and shrimp species.

Another video with the same YouTuber.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: