High nitrite levels

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Mark44

Hi all I was hoping for some information and advice I have recently started a cold water aquarium it is currently fallow for about 3-4 weeks now I have added the filter start up but after a couple of weeks of high nitrite levels I bought the nitrite out II and added this a week ago as direct on the label but tested again today and if anything my nitrite levels seem higher. Throughout the start til now I have done water changes but the nitrite just won’t go down at all I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. Thanks very much in advance and any help is greatly appreciated
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

welcome to AF-UK
Read the guide here https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/aquarium-cycling as this should help you understand whats going on. Cold water tanks can take a lot longer to cycle, depending on how you do it.
Mark44

Hi thank you after adding the nitrite out the levels are now through the roof.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Nitrite can and does go through the roof before dropping. Don’t do water changes during a fishless cycle as it can knock it back.
Mark44

Ah maybe that’s were I’ve went wrong online kept telling me to do water changes I tested my tap water and it’s 0 nitrite but atm the minute my nitrite is 8ppm nitrate is 8ppm and ammonia is about 0.2 ppm I’ll leave it now and just continue to test. Thanks again
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

have you got stock in the tank? I've just had a look at the stuff your using ( Nite-Out II by Microbe-Lift? ) and it sounds like its a bacteria booster/fish in cycle type of product. In that case, dose it to the instructions on the bottle and continue weekly water changes.

I was under the impression it was a product for fishless cycling like Dr Tims.
Mark44

Hi yes that’s the product I was advised on in the shop but there are no fish in the tank and haven’t been any which is why I was confused as to why the nitrite was so high as I would have assumed there’s no ammonia in the tank as there was no waste or food. I’m using the same brand in the gel filter start. I’m clueless at this point.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

I have a feeling its supposed to be used with stock as it needs a source of ammonia to work. You've got two options:-

1) add some fish and keep using the product and follow the instructions on the bottle
2) Fishless cycle with ammonia using the guide on here and the calculator https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/ammonia-calc for dosing. You might be able to use Nite-out with ammonia as it does require a source to work.. worth a try as you haven't got stock anyway! :)
Mark44

I appreciate all your help it’s been spot on do you think I should drain the tank and start fresh or would this just take longer again lol.
Mark44

I added a little food on advice from the guy in the shop to give the bacteria something to feed on but maybe it’s just not enough ammonia and I only done it a week ago