Newbie nitrite spike

Voylike
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

:Humpf: Hi all, new to fishkeeping, and have been loving the whole process from researching, cycling, buying. We have a 100L tank and have recently had a spike in nitrate levels. Reading of ammonia , nitrates and nitrites have been ‘0’ for around 4 weeks. The only thing I have changed recently is I’ve started feeding with pellets, could this be the reason?? Also which is the best testing kits to have, I’m only using test strips, are these not good enough?
Thanks guys 👍🏼🐠
Last edited by Voylike on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Hi there, some nitrates are normal and usually present in tap water. If it's not over 20 I wouldn't worry about it, even then many fish can tolerate a lot more even if it's not ideal.
Test strips aren't great but many people don't bother testing nitrate which is fine as long as you do decent size water changes. I found 25% a week wasn't enough but it depends on your stocking level.
Voylike

Hi thanks for the reply, stocking wise we have 6 guppies, 3 platys, 2 mollys. Got 2 plants in which we have added 2 weeks ago so they are hopefully going to help soon. We have been doing 25/30% change per week and that seems to have been sufficient. Which would be the best way to test water then?
Thanks
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Nitrate tests can be a bit awkward with people saying bang bottle 1 on a desk several times. I prefer to use ones with bottle 1 in powder form with a scoop, I use JBL but there are others available.
I don't think those fish are especially sensitive to nitrate, shrimp tend to be the first to suffer. I tend to test once a month maybe just to check levels aren't creeping up or down.
I like to keep about 20ppm as I have a lot of plants but it's not essential as they can feed from ammonia or nitrite as well
Voylike

Excellent thanks for the advice and help, I’ll have a look at that JBL 👍🏼🍻
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Do you mean a nitrate or nitrite spike?
How much nitrate is there in your tapwater?

If you opt for a liquid nitrate kit then it’s bottle 2 you need to bang on a wall before you shake it. The API one is the most used liquid one.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1421 times
Been liked: 3420 times

What level do you consider a nitrate spike ?
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)