Plant ID

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:51 pm
Isy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 22:35 pm Image
fr499y wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:20 am what Myriophyllum Brasiliensis? aka parrots feather
Sorry no.

I'm almost certain these sorry looking cuttings are Hottonia palustris or Hottonia family.

The plant is suffering from a lack of nutrients, hence the white stems which should be a green colour.
There’s an easy way to tell. Myriophyllum leaves will stay rigid when lifted out of water. Hottonia leaves will go limp. Also Hottonia leaves are a paler green, more of a lime-green. I’d go with Hottonia for this one.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

black ghost wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 13:40 pm There’s an easy way to tell. Myriophyllum leaves will stay rigid when lifted out of water. Hottonia leaves will go limp. Also Hottonia leaves are a paler green, more of a lime-green. I’d go with Hottonia for this one.
It's certainly in poor condition.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Isy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Wow, controversy on my first post! I am glad that it is not quite that straightforward though, I was doubting myself there. :D
I would lean slightly toward the Limnophila, but it could be the Myriophyllum...?

I saw some pictures of Hottonia emersed and the leaves curl back in a similar way when grown emersed, but the leaf rosettes don't enclose the stem in the same way as the plant in the picture. In Limnophila and Myriophyllum they can, depending on the species, as far as I can tell.
Martinspuddle

Plant it, see if it grows and post a picture in a month to six weeks. :]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isy

So, the mystery stems recovered! They've grown in and grown a little differently in two of the tanks I've put them in, but I'm pretty sure now I've got a little population of Limnophila! Which is fantastic, I needed some fast growers!

Martinspuddle

Isy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 20:28 pm So, the mystery stems recovered! They've grown in and grown a little differently in two of the tanks I've put them in, but I'm pretty sure now I've got a little population of Limnophila! Which is fantastic, I needed some fast growers!

Sorry but that's not the same plant you posted here before. That is clearly Cabomba aquatica in the above images. Hottonia palustris has a totally different leaf structure as shown in your original image below.

Also it needs more food, it's looking a little pale.

Image courtesy aquasabi.com
Martinspuddle

Cabomba aquatica - Image courtesy Tropica

Limnophila sessiliflora - Image courtesy Tropica
Isy

I promise you that is the same plant I posted before. I let it grow in a small tank under very strong light, right by my desk to keep an eye on it. Later took a portion into my 200l. The ones in the big tank look a less "fluffed out" by now, I suspect because the lighting is weaker.

I could be wrong on it being Limnophila of course, I just went by the species mentioned in the thread before and went to look at what species the original seller lists separately and that seemed the closest match. But I have no other plants in either of my tanks that I could possibly confuse for that one, I am happy to show a picture of the full tanks. For now, I've attached an image of the same plant in the big tank.
Isy

Alright, here's pictures of the full things. My 200l (with mollies and cories), the 16l plant-grow out tank (pardon the terrible looking red root floaters), and for good measure although not relevant, my 30l cube.

Martinspuddle

That's Limnophila.

Cabomba aquatica