Time for a trim?

fluxtor
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 54 times

Should I trim my Hygrophilia or keep letting it grow wild for a bit? As you all know I'm still a new tank and battling algae so I was wondering if I should trim or leave alone. It's growing really well and throwing out runners everywhere, in fact it's almost taking over the tank. I guess the extra shade it's creating will help my fight against algea?

Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Cut back the Hygrophila half way down and replant the cut stems. Be sure to gently remove any large leaves from the bottom of the cuttings before planting.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fluxtor

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 16:38 pm Cut back the Hygrophila half way down and replant the cut stems. Be sure to gently remove any large leaves from the bottom of the cuttings before planting.
I'll give it a go, not a lot of room to get the stems in now round the back, more of an access problem than anything else do to the large piece of bogwood! Lesson learned there!

I'm already considering doing another small tank something like a Scaper Cube 60 from Superfish or similar. Any recommendations for alternatives? I see we have a classifieds section but it's empty, I guess nobodies selling atm?
Novice
67ltr Nano Tank
Koi Keeper
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

fluxtor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 16:54 pm I'm already considering doing another small tank something like a Scaper Cube 60 from Superfish or similar. Any recommendations for alternatives? I see we have a classifieds section but it's empty, I guess nobodies selling atm?
I personally don't think much of the Superfish aquariums or Boyu for that matter when it comes to their build quality. Can't comment on the 'Scaper' models.

Only ever used Clearseal, Juwel, SeaBray or custom built aquariums.

You not long missed one that @fr499y was selling, Keep an eye out in the local free ads, eBay or aquarist-classifieds.co.uk
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

I went for Superfish Qubig 60 which I love the look of but the practicalities of having the tank raised above the stand have proven not so good, I find it unstable, difficult to carry out maintenance because I have to be careful, however other models would not have this issue, I like the look of the scapers especially the 70l as it has a large footprint, but no option for a lid was a bit off putting, also you would need room for the hang on the back filter.

There are lots of options for a tank of this size Dennerle do a scaper and nano cube range, clearseal do basic tanks as already mentioned, AllPondSolutions do a range of ultra clear glass tanks for scaping they seem a good price,
If you want a lid Interpet Insight has rounded glass and a good lid I have to 40l version and really like it, it's currently in use as QT, don't use the supplied filter though it's rubbish,

I tend to buy new but keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace or Ebay for a second hand tank, try to buy one that has a known age of less than about 5 years if you can, as the silicone seals don't last forever, just something to be aware of, happy searching :happy:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
fluxtor

Thanks guys, advice taken on board!
Novice