Plants turning to membrane/mesh

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
jordzcov
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Plants turning to membrane/mesh, but sprouting new leaves.

Hi, some of my plants are thriving, while some seem to be turning to membrane/mesh. They are still alive and growing as they will establish new leaves, but as soon as these get to a reasonable size, they seem to die off.

2 plants seem to be doing this, while others in the tank are growing well with no issues.

I add tabs once a month to the tank, and also add JBL daily plant food once a day/every other day.

What may be causing this?

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

First thought is a shortage of nutrients in the water column, on the other hand, have you got an Ancistrus in there?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
jordzcov

Hi,
Nope, only 6 tetra and 5 Rasbora.
In terms of nutrients, my most recent readings were:
Nh3 -0
NO2 - 0
NO3- 0/5 id say some where in between based on test kit colour)
PH -8
KH-8
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Cut the leaves off when they start going funny, it looks like a lack of nutrients.
Martinspuddle

jordzcov wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 21:35 pm
Nope, only 6 tetra and 5 Rasbora.

In that case, looks to me you need to increase your daily fertilizer dosing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

I had this with my Amazon sword…definitely not enough nutrients for them. Root tabs should help
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
jordzcov

i do add root tabs about once a month to the tank
Martinspuddle

jordzcov wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 17:45 pm i do add root tabs about once a month to the tank
One question, are you using carbon in your filter?
jordzcov wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 21:35 pm In terms of nutrients, my most recent readings were:
Nh3 -0
NO2 - 0
PH -8
KH-8
Echinodorus schlueteri, like all Echinodorus Sp. require plenty of light and nutrients to thrive. Echinodorus is obviously not getting enough nutrients by the dying leaves, low Nitrates and other plants like your Limnophila sessiliflora show signs of nutrient deficiency as well.

jordzcov wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 21:35 pm 6 tetra and 5 Rasbora.

Just noticed, are you planning on a bigger tank, only Scissortail rasbora (Rasbora trilineata) which to 6" (15cm) need at least a 50 Gallon (250 litre) aquarium.
jordzcov

Hi, i do a weekly water change of around 20%, im guessing i may be keeping the tank to cleana nd thats causing the low nitraates/nutrition for theplants? sadly, im not looking to expand the tank. When i purchased them, the store didnt mention anything about the size of the tank needed for them, and have had them maybe a year or so now.
Martinspuddle

jordzcov wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 22:45 pm Hi, i do a weekly water change of around 20%, im guessing i may be keeping the tank to cleana nd thats causing the low nitraates/nutrition for theplants?
No, the reason is because your fish stock is low but that's not thing and weekly water changes are always good idea. Your tap water supply should have a reasonable level of nitrates, thus help feeding the plants. My NO3 level from my tap water is an average of 25ppm, unfortunately sometimes a lot less.

Have you tested your tap water supply?
jordzcov wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 22:45 pm sadly, im not looking to expand the tank. When i purchased them, the store didnt mention anything about the size of the tank needed for them, and have had them maybe a year or so now.
This is big problem with some pet shop and aquatics, poor advice or little or no information given, especially to beginners. Experienced fishkeepers here will always tell you, never buy on impulse and always research a species before purchasing.

You could either return the Scissortails for a smaller Rasbora species or if you've got loads of money you could sue the store! :grin: