Fat tetra, or illness?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
jordzcov
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Fat tetra, or illness?

Ive noticed one of my tetras grow a large belly recently. He’s always been one of the larger fish, but not noticed this before.
He seems perfectly fine, isn’t gasping, is still eating, no issues swimming/floating, but as you can see, is a much rounder belly than the others. Is this something to be concerned about?

Nh3 - 0

No2- 0

No3- 0/5

PH- 8

KH - 11

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4259 times
Been liked: 3919 times

She! ...is full of eggs (Gravid) and probably egg bound if she's been carrying them a while.

Live foods, lower or raise the temperature (if not already) to 75°F or 24°C and lower pH to nearer 7.0 to get them to spawn, although I have known some Tetras to spawn in higher pH. Spawning takes place usually in lower light, evening or first light.

Unlikely any of the eggs will hatch though, being egg bound. Takes a number of fresh spawns to get fertile eggs. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

It’s just a gravid female. There’s no reason to assume it’s egg-bound. Most tetras produce eggs regularly and reabsorb them if they don’t spawn.
Your other Neons are a bit on the skinny side. More food wouldn’t go amiss. :)
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
jordzcov

oh amazing. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but shouild i be expectingm baby tetras, or will she just lay non-fertalised eggs?
jordzcov

i usually give them a pinch of flakes every other day ( have a bit of a snail and debris issue, which i read can be countere dby lowerign the feeding, and therefore waste) but ill up it to a daily feed :)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Flake can cause bloat in some fish so it’s better to switch to frozen foods or pellets/granules. There’s an online store called Herons that’s really good for pellets. I just got a selection of 10g bags of all sorts that I’ve mixed together for feeding all my tetra.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Martinspuddle

jordzcov wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 20:54 pm oh amazing. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but shouild i be expectingm baby tetras, or will she just lay non-fertalised eggs?
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 17:57 pm Unlikely any of the eggs will hatch though, being egg bound. Takes a number of fresh spawns to get fertile eggs. :]
Very unlikely and even then if fertile eggs hatch, they won't survive without micro foods like Infusoria.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jordzcov

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 23:06 pm Flake can cause bloat in some fish so it’s better to switch to frozen foods or pellets/granules. There’s an online store called Herons that’s really good for pellets. I just got a selection of 10g bags of all sorts that I’ve mixed together for feeding all my tetra.
I do give them half a frozen cube of garlic shrimp once a week to as a treat.
I did want to look in to different food types, but wasnt sure whats best, or whats best suited for tetras/rasboras, so kept with flakes as thats what theyve been used to. Is it best to mix it up (flakes some days, pellets another) or to stick to just one type?
jordzcov

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 23:34 pm
jordzcov wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 20:54 pm oh amazing. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but shouild i be expectingm baby tetras, or will she just lay non-fertalised eggs?
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 17:57 pm Unlikely any of the eggs will hatch though, being egg bound. Takes a number of fresh spawns to get fertile eggs. :]
Very unlikely and even then if fertile eggs hatch, they won't survive without micro foods like Infusoria.
Perfect, thank you for confirming. im assuming theres nothing i really need to do/change here at the moment then? just let her lay her eggs and see what happens? They've been in there for about 2 years or so, and was under the assumption they were all the same sex, so was suprised by this haha!
Martinspuddle

jordzcov wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 17:16 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 23:34 pm
Perfect, thank you for confirming. im assuming theres nothing i really need to do/change here at the moment then? just let her lay her eggs and see what happens? They've been in there for about 2 years or so, and was under the assumption they were all the same sex, so was suprised by this haha!
Live foods will get them in the mood for spawning, Brine shrimp, Daphnia or you could use live Tubiflex worms.