Tank upstairs

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Xcitz

Hi all, I’m a long time aquarium keeper, but have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

I have a split level house which is upside down so the living space is upstairs, mid level (ground) is entrance and then downstairs is bedrooms which is essentially underground for half of the house and another ground level for the other half - basically built into a hill!

I have a 125 litre tank and thinking of going up to a Fluval Shaker 345.. There’s a space which would be on an external wall, with one end into a corner of both external walls, I’m not certain which way the joists run.

I’d like to think that the floor is made to take weight given it is the living space but you never know do you.. the kitchen is on this floor, so fridge, freezer units etc are all on it.

So, if you have a tank upstairs what checks did you make, if any? What worries would you have
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Hi Xcitz
Welcome to the forum.
I personally wouldn't have any concerns about the weight. It's a living area after all.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

A bath tub when full is around the 150L mark and a corner one is around 300L, and thats upstairs so you should be ok with the tank.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
Xcitz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 13:51 pm Hi all, I’m a long time aquarium keeper, but have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

I have a split level house which is upside down so the living space is upstairs, mid level (ground) is entrance and then downstairs is bedrooms which is essentially underground for half of the house and another ground level for the other half - basically built into a hill!

I have a 125 litre tank and thinking of going up to a Fluval Shaker 345.. There’s a space which would be on an external wall, with one end into a corner of both external walls, I’m not certain which way the joists run.

I’d like to think that the floor is made to take weight given it is the living space but you never know do you.. the kitchen is on this floor, so fridge, freezer units etc are all on it.

So, if you have a tank upstairs what checks did you make, if any? What worries would you have
Sometime back when I was setting up a 310 litre in a 180 year old Victorian house, I found a quote from a structural engineer regarding aquariums in old houses in the US.

For example, a 125 gallon tank, on a wooden stand, placed perpendicular to the joists up against a bearing wall, will often be okay without any additional structural support. If your tank is over 125 gallons, then it is likely that you should consider adding supports under your wood framed floor.

125 gallon tank in US gallons is a 473 litre aquarium, so should be OK but if your still concerned, think your first port of call is find out which way those joists go. For safety sake your going to have to lift some flooring and the floorboards if you have a 300 litre + aquarium in mind. I had to with my house. Another thought is (if your on a housing estate) to see a neighbour who has a identical house and floor plan, might be worth asking them which way the joists go in their house giving you a rough idea.

How old is the house? If it's a newish build you may still be able to see the original building plans.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: