Can you cycle a small tank (fish-in) in a week?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

bensmithuk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:56 am
plankton wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am I suggest you use the Safestart or Stability to help finish the cycle.
Sorry for possibly silly question - are these different / better than the bacteria starter I am using (daily) at present: Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II?
That's the one from MA. I have some that I use when adding new fish. I don't think it's as good as the Tetra and Seachem products for usung during the cycle. If you're using Prime as a conditioner then get the Stability as Prime can upset other "bacteria-in-a-bottles".
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
bensmithuk
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

fr499y wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 20:16 pm Do you have pictures of the tetras? Could be that they are compatible temp wise as suggested IF they are cardinals and not neons.
Here's our's:

Here's a snap I took of the tank they came out of at the shop (with the temperature range):

And here'a a close-up of the label:
Last edited by bensmithuk on Fri Apr 05, 2024 18:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Can you add the pictures using the “add image to post” link? Don’t have Dropbox for the link to work.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
bensmithuk

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 18:02 pm Can you add the pictures using the “add image to post” link? Don’t have Dropbox for the link to work.
Updated to directly hosted images. Hope these work OK 👍
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Seriously Fish say 21-25 for neons, 22-30 for betta. Given 25 is the absolute top end for neons, long term best temperature for them is 22-23 degrees. Betta is best at 26-27. It doesn’t sound much but it can have a big impact on metabolism and shorten lifespan.
For a 25L tank, it’s really only suitable for a single Betta long term and definitely too small for any species of tetra just because they’re such active swimmers.

Maidenhead/Fishkeeper stores are only as knowledgeable as the member of staff serving you (or their manager). Some are genuinely caring fishkeepers but others are simply looking at the bottom line and following sales procedures that aren’t based on genuine welfare.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

I've always kept neons at 22C, cardinals at 27C with no problems. Anything else will cause problems long-term.
I've always managed to keep them between 5 and 7 years, which is a relatively long time for small tetras.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
bensmithuk

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Navigating this stuff feels so overwhelming early on, especially as younger family members are involved and were very upset when we lost some fish. I'm learning to seek a consensus view on what's 'best'.

I think we'll make the existing 25L tank into a home just for the Betta and either re-home the Tetras or get a 2nd larger tank suitable for them (and some friends so they can school).