Are cories seasonal?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Clem Fandango
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hi,

First time keeping panda cory. Started with 6 around November. This time last month I spotted a cory fry. Then two fry.

Having just counted 15 fry that I can see, in addition to the 6 adults, I am now wondering if panda cory are seasonal breeders or if I just need to become a full time supplier. They are nearly putting my guppies to shame.

Has anyone else had much experience with this or something similar?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Your doing something right, your water parameters must be spot on.

Corydoras Sp. will spawn if conditions are right no matter the season. Use to find a water change was usually enough to trigger them into spawning. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5067 times
Been liked: 3427 times

You're lucky - my original 6 took 8 years to produce any fry, but they seem to spawn when they feel like it now, although it's probably something to do with air pressure and water temperature.... ;)
I have about 23 currently and they're great in a large herd..... :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Clem Fandango

Oh man.

Mine are in a 90L heavily planted tank. It sounds like I am going to have to do a tear down and break the happy family up before they spill over.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 845 times

Clem Fandango wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 16:53 pm Hi,

First time keeping panda cory. Started with 6 around November. This time last month I spotted a cory fry. Then two fry.

Having just counted 15 fry that I can see, in addition to the 6 adults, I am now wondering if panda cory are seasonal breeders or if I just need to become a full time supplier. They are nearly putting my guppies to shame.

Has anyone else had much experience with this or something similar?
If you have no predators and plenty of hiding spaces then you'll get survivors and many females will spawn every 4-6 weeks I believe. Get 3/4 females and you could get eggs every week!

I've never had any sterbai fry hatch and grow up 'naturally', but I've taken eggs out (quickly before they get eaten!) and raised plenty of fry.

Currently got 20+ sterbai fry/ subadult on the go, but I had to raise and separate all of them.

Gotta love a massive shoal of tiny cories! Supposedly cory's spawn when the weather is bad/ rainy and cold water changes. Mine spawn sporadically. Albino sterbai have been spawning today. Normal sterbai in a separate tank spawn last week.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3919 times

I wouldn't worry too much. Unless your going to feed the fry with specific fry foods, not many will make it to maturity.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

They can be, yes. My CW140s spawn when spring comes usually. Thunderstorms and changes to barometric pressure can be a trigger. I get excited during a thunder storm to see what it brings.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Clem Fandango

They are cute but I did some re-scaping tonight to get a clearer idea of how many there are. At least 30 fry at various stages. Most of them about half or a third of adult size. They live with a few male guppies and two honey gourami. Not really any apex predator around.

Slightly alarming but will see if the spawning continues or if numbers balance out a bit.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5067 times
Been liked: 3427 times

They will.
I also keep them with guppies (and a grumpy bristlenose) which also balance their numbers.
I think panda fry are the cutest cory fry as they look just like the adults, whereas most other cories look similar with splotches for camouflage.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian