DuzMano's Leddy 60XL 72l

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
DuzMano
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

So... My tank arrived today, along with substrate, not enough sand cap (the calculator said 5-8kg and I bought 6, it's nowhere near enough looking at the bags laid out) and a load of other bits like test kit, fluval cycle and aquaplus, aquascape tools, net, Syphon/gravel cleaner, magnetic glass cleaner, plant fertiliser, etc...

Problem is these are all birthday presents and my birthday isn't till the 23rd. Talk about frustration!

I need more sand cap tho, and annoying thing is what I brought and where I brought from is mutually exclusive so if I get the same I'll need to pay a stupidly high delivery fee unless I spend another 50 quid... So I think I'll have to mix something I can get locally... At least it'll be unique lmao. But anyway. Thought I'd get my log up and running beings as I've a tank full of sundries sitting there that arrived today and I want to get going but it seemed like a milestone moment that needed some kind of recognition 😂

Got a budget left of just under £120 for plants and fish and a few other bits I need. I've seen that the piece of driftwood I bought is umm, inadequate, on its own... Either a rethink or some more is needed... 400 quid doesn't go far in this hobby... Bit like my synth fetish, I have champagne tastes but lemonade money 🤣
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

The calculator I made on here suggests 8kg for your sized tank for 5cm deep layer. You might indeed need an extra bag or two! I tend to mix different sand bags in my tanks just to make it look a bit more natural 🙂

Post some pics as you go along too 👌
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

DuzMano wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 19:54 pm So... My tank arrived today, along with substrate, not enough sand cap (the calculator said 5-8kg and I bought 6, it's nowhere near enough looking at the bags laid out) and a load of other bits like test kit, fluval cycle and aquaplus, aquascape tools, net, Syphon/gravel cleaner, magnetic glass cleaner, plant fertiliser, etc...
...oh, don't forget you need some water, can't have your new fishy friends flapping around! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
DuzMano

Martinspuddle wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 21:29 pm
DuzMano wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 19:54 pm So... My tank arrived today, along with substrate, not enough sand cap (the calculator said 5-8kg and I bought 6, it's nowhere near enough looking at the bags laid out) and a load of other bits like test kit, fluval cycle and aquaplus, aquascape tools, net, Syphon/gravel cleaner, magnetic glass cleaner, plant fertiliser, etc...
...oh, don't forget you need some water, can't have your new fishy friends flapping around! :grin:
Damn, I almost forgot! ;)
DuzMano

So got round to painting the aquarium... Didn't come out as well as I hoped, the green and brown mottled effect just looks like I already have algae before I've gotten any water in the tank 🤣. Oh well it is what it is. Hopefully will look more natural when it's filled out with plants. I'm waiting on another piece of bogwood, it's L shaped and if I can work it so part is upright it will look nice on the far right obscuring the heater and filter with any luck. Got some river rocks to go in on the left along with some collected stuff I can hopefully create a natural cave/hideyhole area.

The twiggy bits are my fake floristry bits I shaped to look they're in a flow of water, kinda happy how that's looking, though on not even too close an inspection it's obvs fake, but with substrate, plants some tannins and a bit of time underwater it'll lose some of its starkness and blend in.

Coming along but Ive been forbidden to do too much before my birthday 🤣

DuzMano

Before I get stuck in to building up my substrate, wonder if I could lean on you guys for some advice and guidance...

So I have some egg crate, as although I don't have it yet I'm looking at getting quite a large rock which will have a lot of other smaller ones around it, and I read this would help distribute the weight, first question is should I glue it down to prevent substrate and grit getting underneath and rendering the use of it pointless? And if so hot glue or super glue?

The substrates I have are fairly large granules 2-5mm, thinking of mixing it with a little grit, not sure why, but I'm guessing lots of air pockets isnt ideal especially if they hold gasses etc possible source of unwanted smells and probably not good for plant roots either, so is this a good idea to try and fill in those gaps a little bit, or are those pockets actually going to be beneficial? As I'm also thinking why have they made the granules so large if it's detrimental...

Sand cap should be twice the height of the substrate height? I have plenty of sand now after not getting enough when doing the initial purchasing of stuffs haha

I also presume it's sensible to presoak my wood bits, I'm thinking of sticking them outside in a tub as there's gonna be plenty of rain over the next week, should I still add dechlorinator, seems wise right?
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

DuzMano wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 16:24 pm Before I get stuck in to building up my substrate, wonder if I could lean on you guys for some advice and guidance...

So I have some egg crate, as although I don't have it yet I'm looking at getting quite a large rock which will have a lot of other smaller ones around it, and I read this would help distribute the weight, first question is should I glue it down to prevent substrate and grit getting underneath and rendering the use of it pointless? And if so hot glue or super glue?

The substrates I have are fairly large granules 2-5mm, thinking of mixing it with a little grit, not sure why, but I'm guessing lots of air pockets isnt ideal especially if they hold gasses etc possible source of unwanted smells and probably not good for plant roots either, so is this a good idea to try and fill in those gaps a little bit, or are those pockets actually going to be beneficial? As I'm also thinking why have they made the granules so large if it's detrimental...

Sand cap should be twice the height of the substrate height? I have plenty of sand now after not getting enough when doing the initial purchasing of stuffs haha

I also presume it's sensible to presoak my wood bits, I'm thinking of sticking them outside in a tub as there's gonna be plenty of rain over the next week, should I still add dechlorinator, seems wise right?
1. no, aquarium silicone but I've never bothered.

2. no, they soon get filled with detritus that the roots will use.

3. yes

4. yes, you can but I've never worried.

5. next! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
DuzMano

Ta! :)

No doubt some more questions will come haha
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Don't use grit if you're going to have bottom feeders, it will cut their mouths and barbels.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
DuzMano

The grit would be well below the sandcap, but I'm not going to use any anyway as Martin has already put me off the idea ;)