Nitrite!!!!

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
ReadyEddie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 23:28 pm They sound like API’s equivalent of purigen, although its recharged a bit differently. I might not stick it straight back in the filter after rinsing it in unconditioned tap water ;)
I wondered about that, why does charging it jnvolve cholirated water?

Prime will be here tomorrow so ill start using it.
ReadyEddie

Quick update guys.

Ive done 2 50% water changes in the last 3 days, both dosed with Prime. Before dosing with prime id be at approx 0.5ppm immediately after change and between 3-4ppm within 24 hours.

Tested this morning and its down to 0.25ppm, 24 hours after water change! I guess its a step in the right direction. Theres 3 possibilities as to why its reduced, and I need your advise moving forward:

1) The tank has cycled organically and the nitra zorb sachet and prime are coincidence.
2) The reduction is down to either the prime or the nitra zorb, or both.

So, Im working on the assumption Prime will still be needed, Do I now:

1) Remove the nitra zorb from the flow and continue regular water changes with prime only?
2) Leave the nitra zorb in and continue as above?

Assuming success with either of the above, how long should I continue dosing with prime or is it a permanent forever thing? Im sure ive read somewhere that prime is not a permenant thing, but I may be wrong?

Edit

Just done another water change

Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.25ppm
Nitrate = 1ppm
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

Sounds right, nitrites normally suddenly drop over night once the bacteria catch up. Prime doesn’t affect the bacteria in that way as its a water conditioner like Tap safe etc, prime is just really concentrated so you only need very small amounts for water changes, but it is handy to keep on hand as it has the detoxifying properties that are helpful in emergencies. It will have helped your fish in this case as it detoxifies the ammonia/nitrite which would poison your fish. Again you dont always have to use it as your water conditioner, but long term all the other conditioners work out way more expensive than prime. I’ve not used another conditioner since i first filled my tank :)
ReadyEddie

Gingerlove05 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm Sounds right, nitrites normally suddenly drop over night once the bacteria catch up. Prime doesn’t affect the bacteria in that way as its a water conditioner like Tap safe etc, prime is just really concentrated so you only need very small amounts for water changes, but it is handy to keep on hand as it has the detoxifying properties that are helpful in emergencies. It will have helped your fish in this case as it detoxifies the ammonia/nitrite which would poison your fish. Again you dont always have to use it as your water conditioner, but long term all the other conditioners work out way more expensive than prime. I’ve not used another conditioner since i first filled my tank :)
Sounds good then ;)

Are those nitrite levels enough to be concerned about? I know were aiming for 0 so hopefully it continues to drop.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Keep going without the "zorb" and see what happens.
I thought the "zorbs" just lowered nitrate, not nitrite??????
ReadyEddie

plankton wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 15:41 pm Keep going without the "zorb" and see what happens.
I thought the "zorbs" just lowered nitrate, not nitrite??????
This particukar zorb claims to remove evrything, including ammonia, how true that is ive no idea, i put it in in desperation to be honest.

Assuming the cycle is nearly complete, should i see the nitrites at 0 pretty soon?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

I would think so. :)