Neons in a Community tank

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I have had 9 Neon Tetras in the community tank for the past 8 month, and so far not seen any signs of spawning. However I notice that 2 of them are definitely heavy with eggs. So my question is, do these fish spawn in community tanks, and if so will the eggs be eaten by the other fish? :huh:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5473 times
Been liked: 2683 times

A cooler water change might induce spawning behaviour and it might cause the females to release the eggs, but you might not get any survivors as they do just scatter the eggs.
I think @Si4geckos bred cardinal tetras and the fry from them were quite sensitive, nit sure how similar neons would be.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 857 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:42 pm A cooler water change might induce spawning behaviour and it might cause the females to release the eggs, but you might not get any survivors as they do just scatter the eggs.
I think @Si4geckos bred cardinal tetras and the fry from them were quite sensitive, nit sure how similar neons would be.
True story. They do spawn in community, but the eggs will be scoffed unless there's big gravel pieces for them to fall through and a lot of cover afterwards.

Only way I got any fry was to used a separate tank with a mesh suspended an inch above the tank floor so the eggs could fall through. If you have fat girls, put them in a tank alone for a week or two to super fatten them u then add a male. They generally spawn at first light so you have to up early to start with. I used to leave them in for about 3 days with no food so the water didn't pollute, then remove the parents and wait for fry to hatch.

The fry were pretty much invisible. Not hard to see, invisible! Unless they moved after a few days they're transparent and tiny. Hard bit is raising them up. I only ever managed about 4/5 to adulthood after a few attempts. If you have large gravel/ marbles as a substrate and loads of cover/ moss there's a small chance the odd one may survive. I had neons for about a week. They spawned in the first 24hrs for me, but were in with congo tetras and bare bottom quarantine tank so the eggs last between 1 and 8 seconds!