Paul V's Big Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 873 times
Been liked: 1277 times

SxAqua wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 13:19 pm Nice one Paul. Sorry I have no idea what the fish are ? Could you enlighten me 🙂

I have 12 very young blood parrot cichlids then I have 1 large rose queen parrot cichlid. Also have an 8" Bala shark, blue dolphin moorii and yellow lab
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

Ahh ok.. They're a cracking mix of colours. Bet your very pleased !
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

SxAqua wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 13:51 pm Ahh ok.. They're a cracking mix of colours. Bet your very pleased !
Yeah tank has turned out far better than I imagined. Can't stop watching it now 😂
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

Are you going to get more bala? Any more close up photos? They all look like they have a bit of personality to them.
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Looking brilliant Paul lad.

I cant stop myself from reading the thread title as Paul's V big tank log. Must be because I know the size of the tank it's about.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Well I had a rush of blood tonight and bought 3 new fish... No where to quarantine, they had to go straight in.

The 3 Amigos
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

F3l1ss wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 16:36 pm Are you going to get more bala? Any more close up photos? They all look like they have a bit of personality to them.
I'm on the fence with my Bala, he was bought under mis-information. I was all set to re-home him but put him in the new tank and he's having a great time, I might give him a fortnight to see how he goes. Don't really want anymore though and I know he should be in 4 or 5.

Sorry only got my phone camera and not that great

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Just another opinion here: I think the bala makes a nice contrast in shape and colour to your beloved parrot fish. Having a small group of the balas would look really nice (similar to us small-fish-keepers combining rummy nose tetras with (eg) bleeding hearts or phantoms or diamond tetras). :)
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ric wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:30 am Just another opinion here: I think the bala makes a nice contrast in shape and colour to your beloved parrot fish. Having a small group of the balas would look really nice (similar to us small-fish-keepers combining rummy nose tetras with (eg) bleeding hearts or phantoms or diamond tetras). :)
My daughter loves him, he has such a great temperament and he does look great.

My worry is that if I increase the number to a group of 4/5 whether that would alter his behaviour, at the moment he swims around without a care in the world, no one bothers him and he seems to get a free pass to go near any caves and territories whereas others get chased away, with some more, a group or pack mentality might alter the behaviour
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Bala sharks are a gregarious and shoaling fish, a group of 5 or more is usually recommended.
If kept as a solitary fish then do not keep anything that is of a similar shape as the bala shark will likely attack it.
They do grow (over time) to quite a large size, up to 14 inches, but that would take several years to achieve that size.

Nice pics Paul ::thumbu::

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)