New Hobbyist

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Pops848
Has liked: 2 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 13:20 pm
codheadjohn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:56 am Interesting how they call your water moderately hard, which is what my supplier says for my 5dGH water.
Mines classed as hard by our supplier, at 14.3dgh (german hardness).
Its reasons like that as to why people get so confused 🙄
I always take what the council says with a pinch of salt, our "Blue Flag" beaches are only tested when there hasn't been any sewage evacuated for a few days. But hey, politics right? Better to come to a place like this and truly learn what is hard water!
Pops848

plankton wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:48 am Welcome to the forum. :)

The water is a bit hard for bettas, they do much better in soft water. (No pun intended)
I wouldn't put anything in with a cray, they will take resting fish, and sometimes even swimming fish. Get a 3' tank for a cray on its own. ;)
You can use plant substrate with a sand topping. However, you will restricted to hard water bottom feeders, not a lot more choice than synodontis, so it's a good job the tanks are 4'. You may get away with bristlenoses as they are relatively adaptable.
I'd recommend a fishless cycle as you're less likely to get problems later as you probably will with fish used for a fish-in cycle. ;)
Thanks for this, it's really useful!

I hadn't thought of plant substrate and sand, I think I was more focused on how I can keep the substrate clean as a newbie, but I'll go with sand either way now as I much prefer the look! Glad I've got the tanks to accommodate both the synodontis and bristlenose, it was always my thoughts that go as big as you can, opens up more options!
Shame about the Betta, I know the LFS has them so it's possible they can survive in my area tap water (LFS only use tap water) but the goal here is to have the fish flourish and not "just survive".

Shame about the cray, I see they work in some community tanks but very specifically selected fish I think! I was thinking of getting a small quarantine tank, so that would be starting with 3 tanks, not sure I need to stretch to a 4th haha!

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.
Pops848

PS - Thank you for all the welcomes, once tanks are set up I'll post up properly introducing myself, and thanks to all for your advice. All welcomed as I start this new interesting hobby!
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Welcome to the forum pops.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
RandomTeaPig
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 87 times

Welcome
dh 18