This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Angels with a big appetite!
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 09:25 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 17
paint fumes
Last Post: Annie
Today 09:01 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 24
My 60l aqarium
Last Post: Annie
Today 08:57 AM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 460
The Whole Shebang
Last Post: Vale!
Today 08:50 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 377
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: fr499y
Today 08:27 AM
» Replies: 56
» Views: 811
Fr499y's 4 foot *always changing* tank log, thing....
Today 08:25 AM
» Replies: 233
» Views: 6941
hello from leeds
Today 08:20 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 73
When is the fishless cycle complete?
Last Post: plankton
Today 08:02 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 84
Cloudy Tank - Help?
Today 07:58 AM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 340
Happy Birthday Plankton!
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 176
Cycling a tank
15-06-2019 09:06 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 366
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
14-06-2019 05:57 PM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 2130
Benvilles' Tanks
Last Post: Gingerlove05
14-06-2019 01:29 PM
» Replies: 460
» Views: 9294
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
14-06-2019 12:54 PM
» Replies: 1629
» Views: 186579
food storage
14-06-2019 08:44 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 69

CPO Crayfish.
I did a quick search but didnt find anything recent about these. Anyway my question is are these illegal to purchase/keep?

Ta.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Not sure if it still stands, but iirc the only one thats not illegal to sell is the Cherax?
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2019, 11:07 AM)fr499y Wrote: Not sure if it still stands, but iirc the only one thats not illegal to sell is the Cherax?
Ta, I will have a proper search later and post what I find.

Thanks given by:
I've had good search and other than I bloody confusing Gov website most information I could gather is a few years old so to get clarification on the matter I've sent some emails.

Once I get a reply I will post an update (though I do believe the answer will be they are illegal to own).

Thanks given by:
Yes, I believe it was only cherax quadricarinatus that remained legal for import as most, if not all, are invasive and have decimated the native crays in British rivers (where idiots have released them because they've grown bigger than expected and started taking fish and outgrown the tank Sad ).
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately common sense is lacking in some people or they simply dont care. Looks like I'm skipping the crayfish then but I will have shrimp not all is lost. For some reason I find those little water aliens intriguing.

Thanks given by:
Below are some emails I got in response to asking about owning a CPO.

1- The Fish Health Inspectorate are an executive agency of Defra and the competent authority in England and Wales. We are the appropriate department to assist with your enquiry.  Our remit covers the import of live fish, molluscs and crustacean and the non-native keeping permissions.  Detail of our full remit can be found here -https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/fish-health-inspectorate

The Prohibition of Keeping of Live Fish (Crayfish) Order 1996, made under the Import of Live Fish (England and Wales) Act 1980, requires those wishing to keep non-native crayfish to hold a licence.  Defra policy recognises only Cherax quadricarinatus as suitable for the ornamental trade in GB, and has issued a general licence* (*permission to everyone to keep them for ornamental purposes).  You should also note that equivalent legislation is in place for the keeping of fish under The Prohibition of Keeping or Release of Live Fish (Specified Species) Order 2014. 

Statutory advice on Introduction and Keeping of non-natives -https://www.gov.uk/guidance/introduce-or-keep-non-native-fish-and-shellfish

Statutory advice on Importing - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-or-ex...-shellfish

Please contact us directly if you require further advice – 01305206700 orfhi@cefas.co.uk

2- This is a useful review and assessment
https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/ANS/erss/u...er2017.pdf
Its thermal preferences suggest that it would not survive, currently, in the wild in the UK. Because it is ben selectively bred and only occurs in tropical fish tanks, I think those thermal preferences might be robust. This
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jii...merica.pdf

rather support that view. The species is another plague carrier though.

This species is not covered under any of the main wildlife legislation. Whether it infringes import legislation you should check with APHA. I may be worth alerting folk in DEFRA if they are unsighted on this.

3- This is most useful. It is not part of the conservation legislation that we get to look at that much, so the useful catch-all of including the Cambaridae does cover that Mexican species.

Thanks given by:
So it's just the "blue lobster" then....we don't want them cray pathogens released (again)....... Wink Smile
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
I thought it was only that one Smile
Thanks given by: